The office of Undergraduate Research in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) was created in the Fall of 2012 as an outcome of a PASSHE grant from the Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR). PASSHE submitted a proposal to CUR in July of 2011 entitled "Institutionalizing Undergraduate Research to Enhance Student Success in STEM Through a System-Wide & Campus-Centered Project".
During the Fall of 2011, a SRU committee was created for overseeing this project under the leadership of Dr. Susan Hannam (Dean of the College of Health Environment and Science). The committee consists of:
- Team leader: Dr. Susan Hannam
- Coordinator: Dr. Deborah Whitfield
- Member: Ms. Nancy Cruikshank
- Member: Dr. Jack Livingston
- Member: Dr. Donald Zapien