Skip to main content

 Licensing and Trademarks 



Licensing FAQ
What is a trademark license?
A trademark license is a written legal agreement between the owner of the trademark (licensor: Slippery Rock University) and a manufacture/vendor (licensee). The license grants permission to the licensee to affix the licensor’s trademark(s) on a product(s).This license must be in place before use of the marks.

Who needs an official license?
If your order will include a University mark in the design, it must be purchased from an official licensee. If you wish to use a manufacturer/vendor that is not on the list, please contact the Slippery Rock University Licensing and Trademark office before placing any orders.

What is a trademark or logo?
Trademarks include the University Seal, word marks, trademarks, and registered marks of Slippery Rock University. These marks have been developed to symbolize the University’s purpose, values, and traditions. The SRU logos are trademarked and may not be altered in any way.
What are the benefits of a trademark licensing program?
A trademark licensing program provides three main benefits:
  • Promotes the institution in a positive, consistent, and uniform manner.
  • Protects all of the institution’s trademarks, service marks, and logos from unauthorized use.
  • Protects consumers from inferior products bearing the institutional marks.
Who must be licensed?
Any person, business, group, or organization desiring to produce merchandise bearing Slippery Rock University trademarks, logos, or verbiage is required to obtain a license.

Are Student organizations or campus departments required to obtain permission to use the University names/marks/logos on items used as giveaways, fundraisers, or for internal use (shirts for staff, plaques, etc.)?
Yes, in order for the University to maintain and protect its value, permission must be obtained from the Slippery Rock University Licensing and Trademark Office and a licensed vendor must be used. What products can be licensed? Most products will be considered for a license; however, the University reserves the right to refuse a license to any person, organization, or business. The University will not license products deemed inappropriate.

How can I tell if the product I am purchasing is a licensed product?
All licensed merchandise should have a label which states “Officially Licensed Collegiate Product”.

The following names, logos, and insignias are trademarked


  • Slippery Rock University ™
  • Slippery Rock ®
  • The Rock ®
  • SRU ®
  • Rocky-Pride of the Rock™

In addition, the following marks are registered designs for Slippery Rock University:

  • Slippery Rock University Seal
  • Slippery Rock University Word Mark
  • Slippery Rock University Logo
  • Slippery Rock University "Script Rock"
  • Slippery Rock University Logo "S"
  • Slippery Rock University Mascot, "Rocky" design


Obtain a license

Approved Vendors

Purchase Merchandise


Licensing Fast Facts


Fair Labor Association

Strategic Marketing Affiliates


Contact Us:

Slippery Rock University Licensing Office
Coordinator: Lisa Gray

1 Morrow Way
Room 201 Old Main
Slippery Rock, PA 16057
Phone: 724,738.2091

Strategic Marketing Affiliates
Pan America Plaza
201 South Capitol
Suite 520
Indianapolis, IN 46225
Phone: 317.829.5690
Fax: 317.829.5696

Rocky, Pride of The Rock

Click here to read Rocky's bio!