SLIPPERY ROCK, Pa. - - Thirteen Slippery Rock University volunteer students will be off to the Jersey Shore March 17-22 to "Restore the Shore" as part of their spring break CareBreak program. Students will lend a hand in making repairs caused by Hurricane Sandy that struck the eastern seaboard in late October.
"The participating students will be undertaking community service work in Ortley Beach, New Jersey," said Justin Vallorani, SRU graduate student from New Kensington in charge of volunteer programs in the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership.
The SRU students will be staying at Lacey United Methodist Church in Forked River, N.J.
"Students will be working alongside 'The Sandy Weekday Warriors,' founded by Joan Delucia. Their work will include maintenance on the area and removing debris and trash," Vallorani said.
They will also team with the Salvation Army at Ortley Beach, including sorting donations work.
"The program continues SRU's long tradition of providing community service volunteers during spring break," Vallorani said. "SRU students have taken weeklong CareBreaks to cities across the U.S., as well as some international countries all in an effort to learn about community involvement and community service to those in need."
Students pay their own way for the trips.
In addition to Vallorani, students participating this year are:
- Oliver Laniear, criminology and criminal justice, Pittsburgh;
- Jeff Zimoski, athletic training, Oil City;
- Chloe Finigan, communication, North Falmouth, Mass.;
- Serena Engel, public health, South Williamsport;
- Tesin Gnalian, early education and early childhood development, Sewickley;
- Grace Evans, mathematics, Apollo;
- Rachel Kerr, undeclared, Harmony;
- Malorie Levis, exercise science, Saegertown;
- Kaitlyn Brown, physics, Plum;
- Janine Muri, student affairs in higher education, Plum;
- Emma McDonald, English, Apollo;
- Jenna Klinginsmith, undeclared, Evans City; and
- Jenna Conway, sport management, Hartville, Ohio
Slippery Rock University is Pennsylvania's premier public residential university. Slippery Rock University provides students with a comprehensive learning experience that intentionally combines academic instruction with enhanced educational and learning opportunities that make a positive difference in their lives.