Alan Levy wins award for scholarly, creative achievement
Alan Levy, Slippery Rock University history professor and author of “Floyd Patterson: A Boxer and a Gentleman,” the life story of the legendary boxer, has earned the 2010-11 President’s Award for Scholarly and Creative Achievement for 2010-11.
Levy will receive his award during SRU’s Academic Honors Convocation at 2 p.m., April 3, in Morrow Field House. The event will also honor nearly 2,812 SRU dean's list students, 60 Presidential Scholar honorees, 636 academic scholarship recipients, 143 scholar athletes, 11 community service learning volunteers and the other 2011 President's Award recipients.
Levy joined the SRU faculty in 1985.
He is the author of:
• “Musical Nationalism,” a study of the American composers who came to prominence amidst the expatriate era of the 1920s;
• “Elite Education and the Private School,” a discussion of the vagaries of private secondary education at one of the nation’s premier academies;
• “Radical Aesthetics and Music Criticism,” which examines the relationship of leftist political ideologies to the realms of music and aesthetics;
• “Government and the Arts,” a history of the debates over the subject of the federal government’s support for the arts;
• “Edward MacDowell,” a biography of the American composer;
• “Rube Waddell,” a biography of the zany, brilliant baseball player of the early-20th century;
• “Tackling Jim Crow,” a study of the origins, breakdowns and legacies of racial segregation in professional football; and
• “Joe McCarthy, Architect of the Yankee Dynasty,” a biography of the baseball great.
His Patterson biography, published in 2008 by McFarland and Co. Inc., examines the athletic, personal and political travails related to being a heavyweight champion.
Levy has also given legislative testimony and made conference presentations on the subject of academic freedom and its enemies in modern higher education.
Slippery Rock University is Pennsylvania’s premier public residential university. Slippery Rock University provides students with a comprehensive learning experience that intentionally combines academic instruction with enhanced educational and learning opportunities that make a positive difference in their lives.
Editor’s Note: The successes of our friends and colleagues at the University are something we should all celebrate…and share. The University Public Relations Office has introduced a daily E-feature to share a good news story about a person, program, activity or service associated with Slippery Rock University. When good news happens to you, please let us know so we might share it with others. Submit items through campus e-mail to: GoodNews@sru.edu.