SLIPPERY ROCK, Pa - The Slippery Rock University Alumni Association has awarded $18,200 in scholarship aid to 21 SRU students.
Recipients of the various scholarships were:
· Keith Henry, a junior elementary education major from Johnstown; Lauren Jarrett, an elementary education major from Harmony; Kristopher Nolt, a sport management major from Stevens; Quentin Panger, a mathematics major from Saxonburg; and Emily Smith, an elementary education major from Aliquippa, each received the $1,000 Maree McKay-Esther Smiley Academic Scholarship. McKay was the SRU registrar for 30 years. Pauline Smiley established the Esther Smiley portion of the scholarship in honor of her mother, a 1922 SRU graduate.
· Melissa McCutcheon, a biology major from Franklin, received the $900 Carl and Norma Laughner Scholarship established to honor the 1949 and 1948 SRU graduates who were both involved in the alumni association for 20 years.
· Kevin Sanders, a criminal justice major from Uniontown, received the $900 Peter J. Oesterling Family Scholarship Award. Oesterling established the award to honor an SRU political science major.
· Joshua Puskar, a parks and resource management major from Chesterland, Ohio, received the $750 Past President’ Scholarship Award established by the SRU Alumni Association.
· Alee Kromer, a senior health and physical education major from Punxsutawney, received the $500 Jeanne Powell Furrie Scholarship named for a 1945 SRU physical education graduate.
· Lindsay Zipparo, an early childhood and special education major from Sewickley, received the $500 Eisaman Alumni Scholarship for Sophomore Students. The award is named for the late Jemima Sutton Eisaman, a 1927 graduate and longtime teacher.
· Lauren Jarrett from Harmony received the $500 Anna Brua Williams Scholarship for Elementary Education Majors. Williams was a 1926 SRU graduate and longtime teacher.
· Andrew Hopp, a criminal justice major from Akron, Ohio, Dana O’Neill, a physical education major from Leonardtown, Md., Breanna Tongel, an undeclared major from Pittsburgh, and Louis Trivino, an undeclared major from Greenlane, will share in the $6,800 NKT Scholarship, which recognizes N. Kerr Thompson, longtime SRU football coach. The funds are portioned by the SRU athletic department.
· Lea Cozza, a Shenango High School senior and Megan Magliocca, a Slippery Rock High School senior, who will both attend SRU in the fall, were presented the $500 Watson Family Scholarship that honors one of the late founders of the then Slippery Rock Normal School and his family.
· Heather Rabold from Mars, Pa., and Elizabeth Wright from Connoquenessing were presented the $400 Madeline Farnen Stoops Scholarships for Sophomore and Junior Education Majors. Stoops was a 27-year educator who retired at age 70.
· Kathryn Phillifent, an elementary education major from Baldwin, received the Hallie Dugan Smith and Nancy Smith Angell Scholarship. The $500 scholarship honors Smith a 1922 SRU graduate and her daughter, Angell, a 1954 SRU graduate.
· Christa Berlingeri, a special education major from Mayfield Heights, Ohio, received the $50 Maggie Meise Fellowship for Graduate Students. Meise was a 1944 SRU graduate and longtime alumni association volunteer.
The scholarships were presented at the association’s Annual Recognition Awards Banquet.
Slippery Rock University is Pennsylvania's premier public residential university. Slippery Rock University provides students with a comprehensive learning experience that intentionally combines academic instruction with enhanced educational and learning opportunities that make a positive difference in their lives.