Aug. 30, 2011
CONTACT: K.E. Schwab
SLIPPERY ROCK, Pa. – Some Slippery Rock University students may think they are “at home” next weekend when the University marks “Friends and Family Weekend,” including meals made from “old family recipes” and family fun activities.
AVI Fresh, the campus contract food vendor, has solicited “Recipes from Home” from students and their parents and will serve the dishes throughout the weekend and into the following week in Boozel Dining Hall.
Friends and family members are being offered a full schedule of activities during the weekend. They include opportunities to see the Flying Karamazov Brothers, join in the Slippery Rock community’s VillageFest and Heritage Day events, celebrate the re-dedication of N. Kerr Thompson Stadium to honor current football coach George Mihalik and cheer on The ROCK at the SRU vs. Cheyney University football game or two soccer games. Guests can also participate in a number of other events planned by the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership in remembrance of the 9/11 attacks.
Sept. 9 highlights include:
• Registration from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 9, in the University Union,
• A 20 percent discount on all SRU merchandise at the SGA Bookstore,
SRU 9/11 Remembrance events that begin at 8:15 a.m., at Old Main with bagpipers and Army ROTC cadets leading a walk to the Quad where the SRU Gospel Choir will perform. The names of the nearly 3,000 people killed by the 9/11 attacks will be read.
• “ROCK the ARC” at the Aebersold Student Recreation Center until 9 p.m.
• Little Sibs Weekend, which offers brothers and sisters of SRU students the opportunity to stay overnight in campus residence halls,
• The Flying Karamazov Brothers, a world-famous juggling act at 7:30 p.m., in Miller Auditorium. Tickets are available at 724.738.2018.
Sept. 10 highlights include:
• Activities such as “Make your own Keychain” “Baskets of Fun Silent Auction,” and “Pizza with the President” in the University Union.
• VillageFest and Heritage Days from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Main Street in downtown Slippery Rock,
• A noon men’s soccer match against West Chester University and a 2:30 p.m. women’s soccer match against West Chester on Egli Field,
• A pre-football game picnic 4-6 p.m. on Blaze Scarnati Field with the 6 p.m. kickoff against Cheyney University slated for Thompson Stadium, which will be renamed Mihalik-Thompson Stadium during halftime ceremonies, and
• The feature film “Bridesmaids” at 9 p.m. in the ATSH.
The weekend is sponsored by SRU’s Center for Student Involvement and Leadership.
Slippery Rock University is Pennsylvania’s premier public residential university. Slippery Rock University provides students with a comprehensive learning experience that intentionally combines academic instruction with enhanced educational and learning opportunities that make a positive difference in their lives.