Monte Chapman, a physics major from Turtle Creek, and Maria Montero, a social work major from Dunmore, were crowned Slippery Rock University’s 2013 homecoming king and queen at halftime during Saturday’s football game.
SRU defeated Clarion 34-13.
The "road to the crown" began when SRU students voted for court candidates from among a pool of 12 men and 13 women. The top five vote getters among the women and men each secured a spot on the court. Students then voted online for king and queen from among those on the court.
Members of the homecoming court are:
• Olivia Giger, an early childhood major from North Huntingdon;
• Tesin Gnalian, an early childhood major from Sewickley;
• Sarah Hammond, a communication major from Hanover;
• Laura Ordaz, a physics major from Cooperstown;
• Brett Brown, a mathematics major from Aliquippa;
• Joshua Johnson, a secondary education major from Butler;
• Alex Merida, an information technology major from Easton; and
• Jared Stanley, an early childhood major from Youngwood.
More than 2,000 alumni participated in the "Legends of The Rock" homecoming events, including a parade, class reunions, soccer and football games.
Slippery Rock University is Pennsylvania's premier public residential university. Slippery Rock University provides students with a comprehensive learning experience that intentionally combines academic instruction with enhanced educational and learning opportunities that make a positive difference in their lives.