SLIPPERY ROCK, Pa. - The Women's Studies Program and the Women's Center at Slippery Rock University will jointly sponsor this year's "LUNAFEST," a selection of nine short films by, for and about women Nov. 5-6.
The showings are at 6 p.m. both evenings in the Smith Student Center Theater.
"The nine selected films are designed to launch discussions and motivate us to make a difference in our community," said Cindy LaCom, SRU English professor and director of the University's Women's Studies Program.
LUNAFEST, which travels to some 150 cities, is an annual festival of award-winning short films.
This year's film selections include:
• "Date with Fate," by Venetia Taylor, dealing with blind dates
• "Flying Anne," by Catherine van Campen, detailing a young girl with Tourette's syndrome learning to navigate her tics
• "Maria of Many," by Alexandra Liveris, about a Mexican immigrant, domestic worker, committed mom and activist
• "Sidewalk," by Celia Bullwinkel, a walk through life dealing with a changing body
• "Tiny Miny Magic," by Danielle Lurie, about a woman's mailman and exchanging presents leading to a love connection
• "First Match," by Olivia Newman, about a determined female wrestler preparing for her first co-ed high school match
• "Granny's Got Game," by Angela Gorsica Alford," presenting seven fiercely competitive women in their 70s bonding and playing winning basketball
• "Running Dry," by Dimitra Nikolopoulov, showing how a woman impacted by economic hardships journeys into contemporary Athens
• "Sound Shadows," by Julie Engaas, explaining how sound gives shape to space
First organized in 2000, LUNAFEST was created and funded by LUNA, the maker of the "Whole Nutrition Bar for Women."
Trailers for the films are available at: www.lunafest.org/the-films.
General admission is $5; $3 for SRU students.
Slippery Rock University is Pennsylvania's premier public residential university. Slippery Rock University provides students with a comprehensive learning experience that intentionally combines academic instruction with enhanced educational and learning opportunities that make a positive difference in their lives.