SLIPPERY ROCK, Pa. – Slippery Rock University is again in an elite group of U.S. universities. The Daily Beast cited SRU as one of the 50 safest campuses in the nation for the second consecutive year.
The Daily Beast is an online American news reporting and opinion Web site published by Tina Brown, former editor of Vanity Fair and The New Yorker. The online service also named the most dangerous U.S. universities.
It is the second year for the report.
“We pored over the three most recent calendar years of campus security and crime data [2006-2008] compiled by the U.S. Department of Education, as well as the FBI and the Secret Service, in conjunction with the Clery Act, the federal mandate requiring all schools that receive federal funding to disclose crime information annually,” the service wrote in a news item. “The data reflect incidents reported to campus or local police, not convictions.”
SRU is listed at No. 34.
“I am again pleased that Slippery Rock University has been cited for its continuing commitment to campus safety,” said Robert Smith, SRU president. “We maintain a safe campus because everyone is involved. We urge those in the University community to remain vigilant when it comes to safety. We provide services, including late-night escort services and emergency call boxes, both in our academic buildings and along sidewalks, as precautionary measures and as another way to show the University is prepared for emergencies.”
“While I am new to the chief’s position at SRU, I am confident we will be able to maintain this high ranking – or improve it – in the coming year,” said Michael Simmons, SRU’s chief of University Police since Jan. 24. “In taking this post, I recognized that Slippery Rock University places great emphasis on maintaining a safe campus environment for all members of the community as well as those visiting campus. I am working with my staff and fellow officers to ensure we further improve the safety factor. Those on the SRU campus need to feel safe; that can be achieved if all of us work together at keeping the campus safe.”
In compiling the list, The Dailey Beast only ranked colleges with residential facilities and at least 6,000 enrolled students as reported by the National Center for Education Statistics. “We also deferred to the NCES in determining what a ‘campus’ is — for example, it groups the two campuses for Tufts University as single entity, even though they are seven miles apart. This produced a total comparison of 458 schools across the country,” officials said.
“The statistics account for nine types of criminal incidents, which we weighted based on a subjective judgment of violence, asserting that an incident of murder represents a higher level of intrinsic threat to public safety than a robbery. Burglary carried the lowest value, with car theft weighed twice as much, assault or robbery six times, arson 10 times, negligent manslaughter 20 times and murder 40 times,” the report said.
The totals were then divided by the number of enrolled students, so midsize and large campuses could be accurately compared.
The Daily Beast’s 50 Safest Campuses
1. Cardinal Stritch University
2. New York Institute of Technology – Old Westbury
3. Long Island University – Brooklyn Campus
4. Indiana University – Southeast
5. Farmingdale State College
6. Grand Valley State University
7. Idaho State University
8. Fashion Institute of Technology
9. Indiana Wesleyan University
10. Midwestern State University
11. University of Nebraska at Omaha
12. Touro College – New York
13. Liberty University
14. Pace University – New York
15. Long Island University – New York
16. Quinnipiac University
17. Davenport University
18. Winona State University
19. Clayton State University
20. Georgia College and State University
21. Southern Illinois University – Edwardsville
22. University of Wisconsin – Green Bay
23. The University of Montana
24. The University of Texas-Pan American
25. Grand Canyon University
26. Fairleigh Dickinson University – Metropolitan Campus
27. Sam Houston State University
28. University of La Verne
29. University of Mississippi – Main Campus
30. CUNY – Hunter College
31. The University of Texas at Brownsville
32. Dixie State College of Utah
33. University of Wisconsin – La Crosse
34. Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania
35. Rhode Island College
36. University of Idaho
37. Nova Southeastern University
38. Texas A & M University
39. Central Connecticut State University
40. Marshall University
41. Arkansas Tech University
42. New Jersey City University
43. Brigham Young University
44. University of Wisconsin – Oshkosh
45. University of Northern Iowa
46. University of Alabama – Huntsville
47. Fort Hays State University
48. Columbus State University
49. Texas Woman’s University
50. Vincennes University
Slippery Rock University is Pennsylvania's premier public residential university. Slippery Rock University provides students with a comprehensive learning experience that intentionally combines academic instruction with enhanced educational and learning opportunities that make a positive difference in their lives.