March 21, 2011
CONTACT: K.E. Schwab
SRU Child Care Center plans ‘Camp Rock’ summer program
SLIPPERY ROCK, Pa. – The Slippery Rock University Student Government Association Child Care Center will host an open house from 5-6:30 p.m., March 29, to share plans for its “Camp Rock” summer program for children ages 6 thought 12.
The center is located in McKay Education Building.
The camp will be offered June 9 - Aug. 24, from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
The full-day rate, which covers five hours or more, is $33.60, including two snacks (9 a.m. and 3 p.m.) and a noon hot lunch. The part-day rate is $20, including one snack.
Registration will be accepted for a single day, a week or the entire summer. Those registering for the entire summer will receive a 15 percent discount – and “unpaid’ vacation days. Those who register in advance for one week will receive a 10 percent discount.
Preschool programs are also available for children ages 3-5.
The summer camp programs will offer the following:
- Morning – “You Made It” will allow participants to get creative while exploring different arts and crafts, including clay, painting, paper-making, origami and more.
- Afternoons – “Mad Scientists” will be the theme and safety goggles and paper towels required when get messy investigating how the world works through hands-on experiments.
- Morning – “You’re the Chef: Is your mouth watering yet?” offering ways tasty treats can be created – and eaten.
- Afternoon: “Make A Splash” when students travel to the Robert N. Aebersold Student Recreation Center swimming pool on campus.
- Morning – “Hope For Sunshine” as participants spend time outside enjoying sports and games, including soccer, baseball, golf, kickball and a bike hike.
- Afternoon – “Around The World Wednesdays” offers trips to learn new languages such as Spanish, French and American Sign Language.
- Morning – “Slippery Rock Explorers” is the theme as participants discover how pizza and other products are made during excursions in Slippery Rock and on campus to meet community restaurants owners, police, librarians and others.
- Afternoon – “Get Fit Thursdays” with workouts using Zumba, yoga, kick boxing, running and more.
- Morning – “Super Surprise Fridays,” could offer a “Pajama Day,” “Movie Day,” “Backwards Day” or “Sprinkler Day?” details will be announced once participants arrive.
- Afternoon – “Make A Splash” in the ARC pool.
Registration forms will be available at the open house, by mail or by calling 724.738.2102.
Slippery Rock University is Pennsylvania’s premier public residential university. Slippery Rock University provides students with a comprehensive learning experience that intentionally combines academic instruction with enhanced educational and learning opportunities that make a positive difference in their lives.