May 4, 2009
CONTACT: Gordon Ovenshine:
SRU students shine at Rising Star Awards
SLIPPERY ROCK, Pa. �- Eight Slippery Rock University students have been named Rising Stars for 2009 and have had an actual star named for them. AVI Foodsystems Inc., the campus contact food vendor, purchased seven stars. The SRU Alumni Association purchased one.
Recipients of named stars are Megan Gasparin, a community counseling major from Renfew; Rachel DeWolf, an environmental studies major from Slippery Rock; Megan Fedor, an exercise and rehabilitative sciences major from Niles, Ohio; Moneke Thomas, a finance major from Pittsburgh; Andrew Bolla, a history major from Fairview; Karl Botterbrodt, a management major from Medford, N.J.; Michelle Morrow, a special education/elementary education major from West Mifflin and Alex Kopko, a safety and environmental management major from Shippenville.
Fellow students, faculty and staff nominated the students based on their leadership abilities. The awards program, started in 2002, awards a Rising Stars paperweight and computer program that allows recipients to find the star registered in their name.
AVI launched the program to honor student leaders on campus, said Debra Pincek, assistant to the vice president for student life.
Several other organizations and programs were honored at the Rising Star banquet as well.
Student Government Association's Award for Outstanding Programming:
- Cultural Event: Diversity Wedding Challenge
- Collaborative Event: February Fiesta
- Educational Event: Sex Squares
- Entertainment Event: Rock Feud
- Service Project: Forgotten Angels
- Fundraising Event: Junior Panhel
- Greek Organization Event: Zeta Phi Beta sorority
- Residence Life Event: St. Jude "Up Till 2"
Alumni Award for Outstanding Organization:
- Outstanding Greek Organization: Alpha Sigma Tau
- Student Organization of the Year: Hunting and Fishing Club
- Living Learning Community of the Year: Outdoor Adventure, ROTC
Adviser of the Year Award:
- Club Adviser of the Year: Myra Balok, assistant professor of English/American Sign Language Club;
- Exceptional Service to Students: Kimberly Smith, assistant professor exercise and rehabilitative sciences; and
- Academic Adviser of the Year: Bruce Boliver, assistant professors, parks and recreation/environmental education