FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 17, 2008
Contact: K.E. Schwab
SRU reaches out to help local storm victims
SLIPPERY ROCK, Pa. - The remnants of hurricane Ike that blew through the area Sunday evening left a trail of downed trees and power lines in its wake. Although Slippery Rock University's main campus did not lose power, many students, faculty and staff living in the surrounding area found themselves "in the dark." While some areas are back online, as of this morning, Allegheny Power was reporting that more than 32 percent of its customers in Butler County were still without power and that service to most of these customers will not be restored until Friday or Saturday.
SRU is inviting people affected by the storm to take advantage of campus services and activities available to them, including the following:
* Shower facilities in Morrow Field House will be available from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. through Friday.
* The University Union, including a game and television room, is open today and Thursday until midnight, and Friday until 10 p.m.
* Rocky's Grille in the Union is open today and Thursday from 10:30 a.m. to midnight, and Friday from 10:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
*Bailey Library is open today and Thursday from 7:45 a.m. to 2 a.m., and Friday from 7:45 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Butler County commissioners have declared a state of emergency in the county due to the power outages.
Any Butler County resident who is in need of drinking water can go to one of the following locations:
* Saxonburg Volunteer Fire Department
* Valley-Oakland Township Fire Department
* Middlesex Volunteer Fire Department
* Jackson Township Municipal Building
The American Red Cross has shelters at the Slippery Rock Area High School and the South Butler School District Intermediate Building on Knock Road. The shelters are available from 4 p.m. to 8 a.m. and will provide:
Slippery Rock University is Pennsylvania's premier public residential university. Slippery Rock University provides students with a comprehensive learning experience that intentionally combines academic instruction with enhanced educational and learning opportunities that make a positive difference in their lives.