2014-2015 Academic Year Department News:
- Dr. Katrina Quinn attended and presented on a panel at the Pennsylvania Communication Association (PCA) with students from Lambda Pi Eta and PRSSA in Pittsburgh, PA on September 27th.
- Dr. Mark Zeltner attended the National College Media Convention in Philadelphia, PA with four students from the Rocket Newspaper staff from October 29th - November 2nd.
- Dr. Thomas Flynn presented two papers at the Eastern Communication Association (ECA) Conference in Chicago, IL from November 19th - November 23rd.
- Dr. Brett Barnett attended and presented a paper at the ECA conference in Chicago, IL from November 19th - November 22nd.
- Dr. Amy Walters will present a workshop at the 2015 Miami Beach International Multidisciplinary Conference in Miami, FL from January 4th - January 6th 2015.
- Dr. Amy Walters will attend a Spring Break trip to London, England with students from the Media Criticism class from March 5th 2015 - March 13th 2015.
- Dr. Mark Chase will attend a Spring Break trip to Italy for his Photojournalism class from March 5th 2015 - March 14th 2015.
Criminology & Criminal Justice:
- Dr. David Champion attended the CJEANYS 2014 Conference in Utica, NY as President from October 22nd - October 24th.
- Dr. David Champion and Dr. Patrick Harvey promoted the Graduate Program at the 2014 Pennsylvania Conference on Juvenile Justice in Harrisburg, PA from November 6th - November 7th.
- Dr. Xin Jiang attended and presented a paper titled "Parents, Friends, and Delinquency: An Examination of Direct and Indirect Effect among Different Immigrant Generation" at the American Society of Criminology's Annual Meeting in San Francisco, CA from November 17th - November 22nd.
- Dr. Kerry Edwards presented a paper at The American Society of Criminology Annual Meeting in San Francisco, CA from November 20th - November 22nd.
- Dr. Sarah Kuehn will attend the Fourth Colonial Frontier Legal Writing Conference at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, PA on December 6th.
- Dr. Youngyol Schanz will present a paper titled "Self-Evaluation and Aggression among Prison Inmates: Application of Symbolic Interactionism" at the annual ACJ Meeting in Orlando, FL from March 2nd - March 7th 2015.
- Dr. Sarah Kuehn and Dr. Rebecca Ridener will attend and present the paper "A Longitudinal Study of Students Attitudes towards Punishment" at ACJS's 52nd Annual Meeting in Orlando, FL from March 4th - March 6th 2015.
- Dr. Susan Lubinski will attend the 26th Annual ACFE Global Fraud Conference in Baltimore, MD from June 14th - June 18th 2015.
Government Contracting Assistance Center:
- Ms. Renee Decker participated in the "Certification Information" event with the IBEW in Pittsburgh, PA on September 16th.
- Ms. Renee Decker participated in Pittsburgh Public School's 7th Annual Business Opportunity Extravaganza in Washington, D.C. on October 13th.
- Ms. Renee Decker attended the Association of Procurement Technical Assistance Centers (APTAC) annual professional development conference in Washington, D.C. from November 10th - November 12th.
- Ms. Renee Decker co-hosted the PennDOT Registration and Prequalification for Contractors and Consultants Seminar in Pittsburgh, PA on December 9th.
Hospitality, Event Management and Tourism:
- Dr. Bruce Boliver attended the Connect Marketplace Conference in Orlando, FL from August 21st - August 23rd.
- Dr. Bruce Boliver attended the National Academic Advising Association (NACADA) Annual Conference in Minneapolis, MN from October 8th - October 11th.
- Dr. Bruce Boliver attended, presented at, and ran the 34th Annual Resort & Commercial Recreation Association Conference with 37 students in Dubuque, IA from November 7th - November 13th.
- MSG Jason Vandergrift attended a Ranger Challenge Event in Ft. Dix, New Jersey from October 10th - October 12th with 11 SRU Ranger Challenge Team Members.
- Dr. Angela Bernardo attended and presented at the ShaleNET Workforce Forum in Washington, PA from November 5th - November 6th.
School of Business:
- Dr. Fusun Gonul presented "Adoption of Quick Response (QR) in Print Media: The Role of Competition" at the American Statistical Association 2014 Joint Statistical Meetings in Boston, MA on August 4th.
- Dr. Frances M. Amatucci attended and presented a paper at the Academy of Management conference in Philadelphia, PA on August 5th.
- Dr. Stephen Larson presented a workshop on data mining at the Americas Conference on Information Systems in Savannah, GA from August 7th - August 9th.
- Mr. Larry McCarthy and Dr. Theresa Wajda presented a paper entitled "Outcomes Assessment for Service-Learning Projects in the Not-For-Profit Sector" in San Antonio, TX at the Marketing Management Association Fall 2014 Educators' Conference on September 19th.
- Dr. Melanie Anderson interviewed two fire departments in Adams County, PA as part of the Financial Fitness of PA Volunteer Fire Companies grant from Center for Rural PA on September 25th and September 26th.
- Dr. Jeananne Nicholls attended the SEInforms Conference to present a paper, attend professional development sessions and be a session discussant in Myrtle Beach, SC from October 1st - October 5th.
- Dr. John Golden attended and presented at the Global Consortium of Entrepreneurship Centers Conference 2014 at University College London in London, England from October 2nd - October 4th.
- Dr. John Buttermore visited the St. Paul Homes in Greenville, PA with students as they surveyed residents and prospects for a service learning project on October 8th.
- Dr. Frances Amatucci attended the 1st PRME Regional Meeting in North America hosted by the University of Washington Bothell School of Business in Seattle, WA from October 10th - October 11th.
- Dr. David Culp attended "The Present and Future of Blended Learning" workshop conducted by the University System of Maryland in Hagerstown, MD on October 17th.
- Dr. Jeananne Nicholls, Dr. Sunita Mondal, Dr. Stephen Larson and Dr. John Golden attended the University System of Maryland Quality Matters Workshop in Hagerstown, MD on October 17th.
- Dr. Jeananne Nicholls attended a regional collegiate conference with 12 SRU students/members of SRU's AMA chapter at Duquesne University on October 21st.
- Dr. Rhonda Clark, Dr. John Golden, and Dr. David Jordan presented research for publication at the Northeastern Association for Business, Economics and Technology (NABET) conference in State College, PA from October 23rd - October 24th.
- Dr. Melanie Anderson attended the North American Association of Business, Economics and Technology (NABET) conference as a Board member and presenter of "Financial status of PA Volunteer Fire Companies" in State College, PA from October 23rd - October 24th.
- Dr. Mitchell Church presented two papers at and attended the Institute for Operations Research and Management (INFORM) Conference in San Francisco, CA from November 7th - November 11th.
- Dr. Melanie Anderson attended and presented at the ACBSP Region 2 Conference in Washington, D.C. from November 7th - November 8th.
- Dr. John Buttermore accompanied a group of four SRU students from the SRU Clay Target Club to the ACUI Regional Clay Tournament in Glen Dale, MD from November 7th - November 8th.
- Dr. Gohn Golden and Dr. Rhonda Clark took Economics/Finance Club Students to visit the Federal Reserve Bank, business sites, and museums in Boston, MA from November 12th - November 15th.
- Dr. David Valentine presented a peer reviewed paper at the International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis (SC14) from November 15th - November 20th.
- Dr. John Golden attended and accompanied a student (David Ferreira) to the PSAYDN Pennsylvania Badging Summit at PSEC Corporate Center in Harrisburg, PA from November 16th - November 17th.
- Dr. Roger Solano was the advisor for 8 students who presented at the PASSHE Undergraduate Research Conference in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics at SRU on November 21st and November 22nd.
- Dr. Stephen Larson will present a paper at the 48th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences in Kauai, HI from January 5th - January 8th 2015.
- Dr. Bruce Orvis will accompany 20 students and attend the AKPsi PBLI Conference in Baltimore, MD from February 6th 2015 - February 8th 2015.
- Dr. Sunita Mondal and Dr. Frederick Tannery will present a paper at the Eastern Economic Association Conference in New York City, NY from February 27th - March 1st.
- Dr. John Golden, Dr. Rhonda Clark and Dr. David Culp will accompany students from the Economics of Sustainable Development class to Austria, Slovakia and the Czech Republic for Spring Break from March 6th 2015 - March 14th 2014.
- Dr. Bruce Orvis will accompany students from his Retail Management class to experience the cultural and business environment of Italy from March 5th 2015 - March 13th 2015.
- Dr. David Jordan will accompany HCAM students on a trip to Rome, Italy from March 5th 2015 - March 13th 2015.
- Dr. Jesus Valencia and Dr. John Buttermore will take students from International Economics to Spain during Spring Break, from March 5th 2015 - March 13th 2015.
- Dr. Melanie Anderson and Dr. Diane Galbraith will chaperone a study abroad program for Accounting and Management students in Italy from March 6th 2015 - March 13th 2015.
- Dr. Donald Mong will attend the 2015 PA Health Law Institute at the PA Convention Center in Philadelphia, PA from March 11th - March 14th 2015 to acquire expertise for the new Legal Environmnet of Healthcare course.
- Dr. David Jordan will present a paper at the Society for Behavioral Medicine 36th Annual Meeting & Scientific Sessions in San Antonio, TX from April 22nd - April 25th 2015.
- Dr. Robertha Abney attended the 11th Annual Sport Management Student Conference in Moon Township, PA on October 17th.
- Dr. Catriona Higgs presented at the NASSS Conference in Portland, OR from November 5th - November 8th.
- Dr. Robertha Abney attended the Commision on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA) meeting as chair at the SEVT Conference in Columbia, SC from November 20th - November 22nd.
- Dr. Brian Crow accompanied students to the SEVT Conference for a case study competition in Columbia, SC from November 19th - November 21st.
- Maria Heintzinger presented on Rock Productions/PRSSA at the Duquesne Conference at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, PA on September 26th.
- Crystal Hinnebusch, Chelsea Fryc, Jessica Burnett, and James Spelman attended an event for Young Professionals that was offered by Gatesman & Dave Marketing Agency in Pittsburgh, PA on November 6th.
- Nicholas Botzer and Zachary Petrusch presented research at the International Conference: The Graphical Web 2014 in Winchester, England on August 30th.
- Nicklaus Benedict, Nicholas Botzer, William Botzer, Ron O'Dell, Zachary Petrusch, and Marc Sensenich participated in the Regional ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest at Youngstown State University in Youngstown, OH from November 7th - November 8th.
- Emily Day, Marc Sensenich, Aaron Weckerly, Larry Wilson and Cody Young presented a paper at the Institute for Operations Research and Management (INFORM) Conference in San Francisco, CA from November 9th - November 12th.
Criminology & Criminal Justice:
Hospitality, Event Management and Tourism:
- The following students attended, presented at, and worked with the event planner (Dr. Bruce Boliver) at the Resort & Commercial Recreation Association's National Conference in Dubuque, IA from November 8th - November 12th: Taylor Alford, Emily Bandi, Molly Brown, Samantha Caprini, Stephanie Cheek, Karissa Cichon, Connor DeAugustine, Tayler Defibaugh, Britten Denkovich, Lydia Dubrosky, Suzanne (Beth) Dulak, Brooke Edwards, Caroline Egan, Maura George, Meghan Haskins, Alysa Iorio, Caitlin Jones, Amanda Kaplon, Tiffany Keagy, Amanda Kimble, Theresa King, James Kuczynski, Kelsey Lehnerd, Jessica Lewis, Stephanie Malone, Olivia Null, Erika Pentland, Caitlynn Richeal, Haley Robertson, Kathryn (Katie) Roncaglione, Juliana Segura, Kate (Katie) Seth, Amanda Sharpless, Olivia Thomas, Austin Troutner, and Mary Wilde.
School of Business:
- Ryan Betz and Brianne Roman surveyed residents and prospects at the St. Paul Community in Greenville, PA as part of a service learning project on October 8th.
- The following students from SRU's AMA chapter attended a regional collegiate conference with Dr. Jeananne Nicholls at Duquesne University on October 21st: Kristen Check, Elaina DiBucci, Madison Donovan, Brittany Foertsch, Kady Huber, Miranda Leader, Maley Martin, Samantha Maykuth, Rhea Papi, Kara Shorr, Cheyenne Svihila, and Dillon Tones.
- The following students from the Economics/Finance Club joined Dr. Rhonda Clark and Dr. John Golden on a trip to see the Federal Reserve Bank, business sites, and museums in Boston, MA from November 12th - November 15th: Kayla Ramsey, Courtney Dwyer, Megan Peters, Breanna Reiley, Sithie Rizwan (Rikaza), Kristen Check, Leanne McDermott, Marisa Lombardo, Tanner Lewis, Matthew Eichler, Tyler Malorni, Alexander Ford, Paul Johnson, Derik Widomski, Cody Cashdollar, and Vaughn Houck.
- David Ferreira attended the PSAYDN Pennsylvania Badging Summit at the PSEC Corporate Conter with Dr. John Golden from November 16th - November 17th.
- The following students presented at the PASSHE Undergraduate Research Conference in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics at SRU on November 21st and November 22nd: Xindi Li, Samantha Rivet, Chalina Boulding, Alyssa Sirianni, Chad Bender, Joseph Friel, Krista Scialabba, and Amy Shearer.
- The following students will attend the AKPsi Professional Business Leader's Institute (PBLI) Conference with Dr. Bruce Orvis in Baltimore, MD from February 6th 2015 - February 8th 2015: Dean Abbondanza, Natasha Bailey, Nicole Baker, Samantha Behm, Chris Boggs, Jessiva Bovo, Lauren Bunk, Alexandra Davis, Courtney Dwyer, Alexa Gutzweiler, Kady Huber, Paul Johnson, Kristen Kissel, Elizabeth Mazzocco, Ashley McCollum, Shannon Mirachi, Andrew Sanfilippo, Jow Shapaka, Kaitlyn Vangelo, and Allyson Wolford.
- Emily Forliones, Katlyn Gable, Brittany Grove and Holly Kennedy represented SRU in a case study competition at the SEVT Conference in Columbia, SC from November 19th - November 21st.
To view past academic year activities click on the following link: