As a key contributor to the improvement of the Communications department, Lambda's services were established to empower students and assist them through the various programs. We strive to give our undergraduates the tools they need to reach their own goals.
Lambda Pi Eta (LPH) is the official communication studies honor society of the National Communication Association (NCA) and was established at Slippery Rock University under the chapter name, Beta Upsilon.
Lambda Pi Eta has over 400 active chapters at four-year colleges and universities worldwide. LPH was founded in 1985 at the University of Arkansas.
Our Slippery Rock Chapter performs many activities and services for our department and the community of Slippery Rock University including:
- Scheduling Workshops: Lambda understands the difficulty of taking time to properly prepare for scheduling, especially when it draws near to the end of the semester. We offer students a chance to go over the scheduling process with our members as that bi-annual time approaches.
- Deparment Assessments: Constructive criticism is the ultimate tool for true growth. As our department evolves, the members of Lambda meet together to discuss what could be changed or improved upon to best benefit the students of today and those of tomorrow.
- Faculty Appreciation Week: Every year we take time to give proper appreciation to the faculty who make our majors a reality. Through contests and fundraisers we draw people's attention to those who serve our creed.
- Collaboration: Lambda works with other organizations in the communications department. Through combined involvement and cooperation, we can accomplish more together than any one organization could do alone.
- Fundraisers: Through fundraisers an organization collects money to help those in need. But here at Lambda we believe it goes deeper than that. A good fundraiser should expose reality as it really is. A fundraiser fails if its message doesn't reach the intended audience. It is our goal to promote awareness that will bring about real changes in perceptions and behavior.
- Lambda Learning Assistance: Our Members assist their peers through tutoring or technical support when needed. Students in need of assistance can meet Lambda staff at our scheduled times, or contact us directly with questions.
Goals of Lambda Pi Eta
(1) Recognize, foster and reward outstanding scholastic achievement in communication studies
(2) Stimulate interest in the field of communication
(3) Promote and encourage professional development among communication majors
(4) Provide an opportunity to discuss and exchange ideas in the field of communication
(5) Establish and maintain closer relationships between faculty and students
(6) Explore options for graduate education in communication studies
Student must have a 3.0 cumulative GPA with 60 semester hours completed. And a 3.25 GPA for communication studies courses with 12 semester hours completed.