The strategic goals of the Department of Professional Studies are to:
- Create new, unique, and innovative courses in the Liberal Studies Goal areas and offer these courses in the larger classroom settings and through distance education.
- Support other departments by offering our courses in sufficient numbers required by their majors and accreditation bodies; within our expertise, ability, and allocated resources.
- Assume an active role in the Leadership minor and the Honors, Service Learning, and International programs, and Internships.
- Deliver an alternative, flexible, outcomes based, and high quality degree program in Professional Studies and, with substantive faculty advisement and collaboration, provide unique opportunities for students to expand and adapt their education to their specific interests and requirements.
- Provide an outstanding Health Services Administration major.
- Reinvigorate the Sociology program as a viable major, becoming an integral part of the department.
- Provide students with a superior, outcomes-based, broad liberal arts education.
- Support current and develop new programs that introduce freshman and transfer students to the University and enhance our retention effort.
- Encourage and provide students with opportunities for engagement; in academic, co-curricular, extracurricular, and professional activities.
- Sustain excellent graduation rates through advisement, interaction, mentoring, monitoring, and intervention.
- Acquire a reputation for developing highly effective and innovative methods of instructional delivery and outcomes assessment.
- Become a leader in the creation, development, and delivery of distance education.
- In cooperation with International Initiatives, seek opportunities for diverse, multicultural, and global experiences of both faculty and students.
- Elevate the instructional effectiveness and scholarly productivity of faculty.
- Assist faculty in professional development, promotion, and advancement.
- Become an active department with faculty taking a leading role in contributions and service to the University and to the local communities.
- Increase and strengthen relationships that enhance the identity of the department and the University.