The Professional Studies Department uniquely supports the University and community through innovative courses and programs, scholarly growth, and service contributions.
The Department of Professional Studies will lead in delivering innovative student-oriented programs, establishing emerging disciplines, and re-creating of the sociology major by 2010.
The strategic goals of the Department of Professional Studies are to:
- Create new, unique, and innovative courses in the Liberal Studies Goal areas and offer these courses in the larger classroom settings and through distance education.
- Support other departments by offering our courses in sufficient numbers required by their majors and accreditation bodies; within our expertise, ability, and allocated resources.
- Assume an active role in the Leadership minor and the Honors, Service Learning, and International programs, and Internships.
- Deliver an alternative, flexible, outcomes based, and high quality degree program in Professional Studies and, with substantive faculty advisement and collaboration, provide unique opportunities for students to expand and adapt their education to their specific interests and requirements.
- Provide an outstanding Health Services Administration major.
- Reinvigorate the Sociology program as a viable major, becoming an integral part of the department.
- Provide students with a superior, outcomes-based, broad liberal arts education.
- Support current and develop new programs that introduce freshman and transfer students to the University and enhance our retention effort.
- Encourage and provide students with opportunities for engagement; in academic, co-curricular, extracurricular, and professional activities.
- Sustain excellent graduation rates through advisement, interaction, mentoring, monitoring, and intervention.
- Acquire a reputation for developing highly effective and innovative methods of instructional delivery and outcomes assessment.
- Become a leader in the creation, development, and delivery of distance education.
- In cooperation with International Initiatives, seek opportunities for diverse, multicultural, and global experiences of both faculty and students.
- Elevate the instructional effectiveness and scholarly productivity of faculty.
- Assist faculty in professional development, promotion, and advancement.
- Become an active department with faculty taking a leading role in contributions and service to the University and to the local communities.
- Increase and strengthen relationships that enhance the identity of the department and the University.
- Champion the value of learning as a life-long process.
- Advance the acquisition of knowledge and abilities that enhance a successful personal and professional future.
- Impart a sense of ethics, social responsibility, and community service.
- Provide a sound foundation in the liberal arts and sciences.
- Create a student oriented learning environment with opportunities for student faculty interaction.
- Prepare students to analyze, evaluate, synthesize, and present information cogently; and to make informed, intelligent decisions.
- Prepare students with strong interpersonal relationship and communication skills.
- Impress upon students the importance of technology.
- Introduce students to multicultural, global, environmental, and diversity perspectives.
- Provide opportunities for students to experience and assume leadership roles.
- Work closely with individual students through the advisement process to select or position courses in the development of their major, liberal studies, and electives that best suit their needs.
- Develop unique programs of study for exceptional students particularly as a second major or a minor to expand their personal, professional, and/or their academic horizons.
- Recognize and reward student achievement through the creation of scholarships, grants, ceremonies, and other activities.
- Institute an outstanding advisement process whereby students are assisted effectively in their academic progress.
- Establish a model outcomes assessment plan to include assessment of students, courses, programs, advisement, and the department.
- Create, develop, and support a student mentoring and shadowing program.
- Promote the use of and exposure to successful individuals and organizations in speaking engagements, classroom activities, field trips, and internships.
- Develop and maintain advisory committees for each of our majors comprised of creative and energetic individuals with the passion and expertise to assist us advance our programs.
- Be involved in the First Years Studies (FYRST) program and construct learning clusters designed particularly for exploratory students.
- Ascertain shortages in liberal studies course availability and provide support especially in those areas.
- Provide direction, encouragement, support, and recognition for the scholarly growth of faculty.
- Excellence: We strive for excellence. We are committed to continuous improvement in all we do.
- Change: We acknowledge, anticipate, and embrace change. We will endeavor to proact rather than react to constantly evolving learning and global environments.
- Ethics: We recognize that attitudes, beliefs, and behavior must be built on an ethical foundation.
- Diversity: We are committed to the recognition, encouragement, and integration of diversity in ethnicity, gender, personal beliefs, values, thought, and opinions.
- Individuality: We recognize that appreciation of individual talent, aspiration, and ambition is critical to the success of our mission. We are committed to encouraging, and fostering the individual abilities of all constituents, including students, faculty, staff, and community. We are committed to providing opportunities for productive and meaningful learning experiences, appropriate training and education, and to the recognition of individual contributions and achievement.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit: We recognize the value of creativity, initiative, and determination and will encourage entrepreneurial spirit.
- Education: We believe in heuristic liberal education and are committed to the holistic growth of our students while recognizing the importance of exposure to professional experience.
- Academic Achievement: We are committed to high academic standards and achievement and to the recognition and rewards of such achievement.
- Student Orientation: We believe students are our first priority and primary responsibility. Consequently, we will be a student advocate and value faculty-student interaction, the advisement process, and always act in students’ best interest.
- Teaching: Our primary purpose is to foster learning. We will strive for continuous instructional improvement and delivery through practice, technology, professional development, and participation in instructional enhancement activities.
- Global Perspective: We acknowledge the importance of a world context, environmental issues, and the generally provincial view of our students. We are therefore resolved to provide a global perspective and international opportunities for our students.
- Technology: We are committed to providing a learning environment that emphasizes the importance of technological innovation and application, and the exposure of students to the latest information and technology.
- Relationships: We recognize the value of interaction with the surrounding communities, organizations, individuals, and other stakeholders that enhance our ability to accomplish our mission is vital. We will explore, cultivate, and expand these relationships.
- Participation: We recognize that involvement encourages a sense of purpose, respect, trust, and concern for all constituents. We are committed to an environment that encourages participation of faculty, staff, students, administrators, and other stakeholders in all aspects of the accomplishment of our mission.
- Collegiality: We believe that collaboration and mutual respect is paramount to the accomplishment of our mission.
- Service: We are committed to the dissemination of our knowledge and application of our skills in the service to others.
- Research: We believe in the pursuit of knowledge, sharing findings, and integrating new ideas, concepts, and methods that support our mission.