The Department of Sport Management at Slippery Rock University strives to be a leader in providing practical undergraduate education, with a focus on student development in the field of sport business. We encourage our students’ intellectual, personal, and professional growth through a challenging academic program augmented by relevant experiential requirements. As one of the oldest academic Sport Management programs in the country, we are committed to maintaining our reputation as one of the sport industry’s premier partners in sport management education. In pursuit of our mission, we primarily focus our efforts on:
• Providing quality undergraduate instruction
• Preparing students to critically analyze issues and problems related to sport business
• Ensuring students are proficient in the outcome areas of communication, personal and professional decision making, ethical and legal practices, practical and theoretical competence, professional development, and self-enhancement
• Requiring sufficient contact hours in practical settings to enhance student learning
Sport Management Department Program Level Student Outcomes
The Sport Management faculty has established seven program outcomes for the undergraduate program that are implemented on a daily basis inside and outside the classroom. These program outcomes are an extension of the mission statement and connect to the university’s outcomes. In order to achieve our mission, these outcomes are assessed using a variety of direct and indirect performance indicators
Use communication skills with individuals and groups; disseminate information in a variety of oral, written and electronic formats to diverse populations such as customers, clients, employees and managers.
2. Personal and Professional Decision Making
Apply critical and creative thinking skills to solve problems and make managerial decisions through the integration of theory and practice.
3. Continuing Ethical and Legal Practices
Promote ethical behavior and apply legal principles that exceed the expectations of the sport industry.
4. Practical and Theoretical Competence
Utilize current theoretical and practical research to develop sport management competencies that can be applied to the sport industry.
5. Professional Development
Foster professional development through participation in professional organizations, practical experiences and volunteer activities.
Value diverse social and cultural environments and their impact on self-awareness and self concept.
Function effectively in the international and global market place.
Department of Sport Management
114 West Gym
Slippery Rock University
Slippery Rock, PA 16057
Phone: 724.738.2117 (or 2060)