Sport Management Alliance (SMA)
The Sport Management Alliance is a student-directed organization dedicated to enhancing the professional development of future sport managers. While education is a vital ingredient to achieving success, SMA provides Sport Management majors with outside university experiences. SMA provides students with opportunities to meet academicians and practitioners in the Sport Management field.
Hands-on experience and networking are two instrumental factors to enhance marketability in the sport industry. SMA organizes activities and trips that attempt to optimize the interaction between the Sport Management student and professionals in the field. SMA also organizes social trips to Toronto, Erie, Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Cleveland where students visit sport facilities and learn more about each other.
An executive board of nine individuals is elected each year and provides the officers with experience in leadership and decision making. Monthly meetings are held to keep Sport Management majors aware of activities. Attendance at these meetings demonstrates the student's desire to improve themselves professionally. The meetings also provide the major with an opportunity to network with their peers and professors. The Sport Management Alliance serves as a vehicle to meet other Sport Management majors, professors and practitioners and enables the student to become involved in the sport industry. These activities ultimately provide students with the tools to mold themselves academically and professionally.
2012-2013 SMA Board Initiatives
1. To increase attendance at SMP events by 25% from 2011-2012.
2. To increase attendance at SMA Meetings by 25% from 2011-2012.
3. To increase student involvement with Landmark by 15% from 2011-2012.
4. To increase freshmen involvement with SMA activities by 20% from 2011-2012.
5. To increase transfer student involvement with SMA activities by 20% from 2011-2012.
6. To develop two new methods of communication with sport management students and alumni.
7. To have a speaker from every major category of sport management.
8. To increase the interaction between upperclassmen and underclassmen in sport management.
9. To offer 3 new types of SPMT apparel.
10. To increase apparel sales by 25% from 2011-2012.
1. Creation of New Alumni Database
2. Creation of Current Student Database
3. Development of simplified communication method for use between students and alumni.
4. Utilize a texting service to send out alerts about SMA events and meetings.
5. Develop a student survey to investigate interests in events and meeting content
6. Streamline SPMT social media by utilizing online software such as Hootsuite.
7. The completion of SPMT video profile.
8. Creation of videos to be uploaded to YouTube.
Meet The Board
Department of Sport Management
101 Eisenberg Building
Slippery Rock University
Slippery Rock, PA 16057
Phone: 724.738.2117 (or 2060)