The primary purpose of the Athletic Training Program at Slippery Rock University is to develop a competent and contributing entry-level health care professional in the field of athletic training. This will be accomplished by providing quality didactic and supervised/mentored clinical experiences in preparation to practice as a Certified Athletic Trainer.
1. Professional Interaction: To interact and communicate effectively and appropriately in oral, written and electronic formats with people in a variety of professional contexts.
2. Professional Decision Making: To utilize creativity and critical thinking skills in order to analyze, synthesize, and evaluate information to make informed decisions with justification and evidence-based support.
3. Professional Competence: To demonstrate entry-level athletic training knowledge, skills and abilities consistent with the National Athletic Trainers’ Association Educational Competencies and the scope of practice as outlined by the Board of Certification Role Delineation Study/Practice Analysis.
4. Professional Ethics: To deliver humane and ethical health care for individuals, which reflects respect and dignity for the individuality, ethnicity, culture, and ability of every physically active person, patient, client, and athlete.
5. Continued Professional Development: To continuously exercise intellectual growth with regard to, but not limited to, the profession, culture, and science of athletic training.