Dr. Cooke received her undergraduate degree in Therapeutic Recreation at Slippery Rock University in the early 1980s. She obtained a Masters in Psychology in Education at the University of Pittsburgh and earned her Doctorate in Health Care Education from Nova Southeastern University, North Miami, Florida. Prior to joining the faculty at SRU, Dr. Cooke's professional clinical experiences included work at a community program for adults with developmental disabilities, a nursing home, and in the outpatient and inpatient psychiatric settings.
- Doctor of Education, Healthcare Education, Nova Southeastern University, May, 2002.
- Additional Postgraduate Course Work, Developmental and Educational Psychology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA. Fall semester, 1998.
- Master of Education, Psychology in Education, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. August, 1989.
- Bachelor of Science, Therapeutic Recreation, Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania, Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania. May 1984.
- Associates in Applied Science, Recreation Leadership, Duchess Community College, Poughkeepsie, New York. May 1982.
||Foundations of Parks and Recreation|
||Therapeutic Recreation Services|
||Therapeutic Recreation for People with Mental Illness|
||Practicum in Therapeutic Recreation|
||Recreation and the Aging Process|
||Therapeutic Recreation Interventions|
- Slippery Rock University. Slippery Rock, PA. Associate Professor, Department of
Parks and Recreation/Environmental Education. August, 1997 – present.
- Sewickley Valley Hospital. Sewickley, PA. Supervisor, Therapeutic Recreation. August, 1996 to August, 1997.
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center – Braddock. Braddock, PA. Clinical Supervisor, Therapeutic Recreation. July, 1996 to August, 1997.
- Allegheny Valley Counseling Center. New Kensington, PA. Coordinator, Training and Social Rehabilitation. November, 1993 to August, 1996.
- Sewickley Valley Hospital. Sewickley, PA. Community Outreach/Education Specialist. November, 1991 to November, 1993.
Therapeutic Recreation Specialist. July, 1987 to September, 1992.
Professional Areas of Interest
- Mental Health and Substance Addiction
- Human Growth and Development
- Leisure Education
- Gay and Lesbian Studies
Other Activities and Interests
- SRU Therapeutic Recreation Club
- Advisor, SRU Women’s Rugby Team
- Co-Advisor, SRU Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Allies Student Group
- Co-Chair, President’s Commission for LGBT Issues
- Chair, SRU APSCUF Gender Issues and Social Justice Committee
- Member, National Coalition Building Institute
- Member, Inclusiveness and Diversity Committee, Western Pennsylvania Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
- Member, American Therapeutic Recreation Association
- Member, National Therapeutic Recreation Society
- Member, Western Pennsylvania Therapeutic Recreation Association
- Member, Pennsylvania Therapeutic Recreation Society
- Member, St. Andrew Lutheran Church, Pittsburgh, PA
American Therapeutic Recreation Association
National Recreation and Park Assoiciation
Pennsylvania Therapeutic Recreation Society
Therapeutic Recreation Directory
Human Rights Campaign