Information Security Plan for Slippery Rock University
Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (FTC)
- The designated employee for the coordination and execution of the information security plan is the Vice President for Finance and Administrative Affairs of Slippery Rock University. All correspondence and inquiries should be directed to that office.
- The following have been identified as relevant areas to be considered when assessing the risks to customer information:
Information Systems-Appendix A
Managing System Failures
Perkins Loan Office
Student ID Card Office
Academic Records Office
Financial Aid Office
Student Accounts Office
Student Health Center
- The Vice President for Finance and Administrative Affairs’ office will coordinate with the internal auditor's office to maintain the information security program. The Director of Academic Records’ office will provide guidance in complying with all privacy regulations. Each relevant area is responsible to secure customer information in accordance with all privacy guidelines. A written security policy that details the information security policies and processes will be maintained by each relevant area and will be made available to the Vice President for Finance and Administrative Affairs or internal auditor's office upon request. In addition, the information technology department will maintain and provide access to policies and procedures that protect against any anticipated threats to the security or integrity of electronic customer information and that guard against the unauthorized use of such information.
- Slippery Rock University will select appropriate service providers that are given access to customer information in the normal course of business and will contract with them to provide adequate safeguards. In the process of choosing a service provider that will have access to customer information, the evaluation process shall include the ability of the service provider to safeguard customer information. Contracts with service providers shall include the following provisions:
- an explicit acknowledgment that the contract allows the contract partner access to confidential information;
- a specific definition of the confidential information being provided;a stipulation that the confidential information will be held in strict confidence and accessed only for the explicit business purpose of the contract;a guarantee from the contract partner that it will ensure compliance with the protective conditions outlined in the contract;a guarantee from the contract partner that it will protect the confidential information it accesses according to commercially acceptable standards and no less rigorously than it protects its own customers’ confidential information;
- a provision allowing for the return or destruction of all confidential information received by the contract partner upon completion of the contract;
- a stipulation allowing the entry of injunctive relief without posting bond in order to prevent or remedy breach of the confidentiality obligations of the contract;
- a stipulation that any violation of the contract's protective conditions amounts to a material breach of contract and entitles Slippery Rock University to immediately terminate the contract without penalty;
- a provision allowing auditing of the contract partners' compliance with the contract safeguard requirements; and
- a provision ensuring that the contract’s protective requirements shall survive any termination agreement.
- This information security plan shall be evaluated and adjusted in light of relevant circumstances, including changes in the university's business arrangements or operations, or as a result of testing and monitoring the safeguards. Periodic auditing of each relevant area's compliance shall be coordinated through the internal auditor’s office. Annual risk assessment will be done through the Vice President for Finance and Administrative Affairs’ office. Evaluation of the risk of new or changed business arrangements will be done through the legal counsel's office.
Appendix A-Security Plan for Information Systems
Current Security Plan for Perkins Loan Servicer ECSI can be found at www.ecsi.net/bwr/borrower_privacy.html