Skip to main content

 Financial Aid Application Process 



APPLY- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

If you want to be considered for need-based financial assistance, you will need to complete and submit the FAFSA. The U.S. Department of Education strongly encourages families to utilize the Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) embedded in www.FAFSA.govFor more information on the DRT, please click here. IRS data will be available to upload approximately two weeks after filing taxes electronically or approximately 6-8 weeks after filing taxes via paper.  If you already completed your 2015-16 FAFSA with estimated information, we encourage you to update your FAFSA using the Data Retrieval Tool after you file your taxes. 

  • Incoming freshman are urged to file the FAFSA by February 28 if possible. By doing so, SRU can provide a financial aid award by mid-March, allowing students to use this information in their college decision process if necessary. If an incoming freshman files after February 28th, they should expect to receive their award letter approximately 2-3 weeks after filing the FAFSA.
  • All students are encouraged to file the FAFSA “after” filing their federal tax return but definitely before May 1st for maximum aid consideration.

The Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) requires the FAFSA to be received by the processor no later than May 1 for Pennsylvania State Grant consideration for undergraduate Pennsylvania residents.  Completing the federal income tax return prior to completing this application is highly encouraged as the FAFSA refers to specific lines on the tax return.

Federal School Code & School Address

Your FAFSA information will be sent to you and to all the schools you listed on your application. Please use the following information in order to have your FAFSA sent to Slippery Rock University.

School Code: 003327
College Name: 
Slippery Rock University
Address: 1 Morrow Way, Slippery Rock, PA  16057 

Students unable to file the FAFSA on-line can access printable FAFSA forms here.


Undergraduate Students 
To apply for financial aid administered by the Financial Aid Office you must complete the FAFSA each year. At Slippery Rock University, an academic year consists of fall, spring, and summer. Applications are accepted beginning in January for the fall semester through June 30 of the next year. If you plan to enroll in summer school, an SRU summer financial aid application is also required. 

By completing the FAFSA, you are automatically applying for federal, state, and institutional financial aid. Your eligibility for need based financial aid depends on your family's financial situation, which can change on an annual basis, so you must complete the FAFSA every year.  

Graduate Students 
To apply for any University-administered financial aid for the fall or spring semesters, you must complete the FAFSA for the current year. Graduate students are eligible for federal loan consideration but not federal or state need-based grants.

Determining Your Aid 
The information you provide on the FAFSA goes through a federal needs analysis process to determine the Expected Family Contribution (EFC): the amount that your family should be able to contribute toward your college education. Graduate students are considered "independent" and therefore, are not required to provide parental information on the FAFSA. 

Information for All Students 
To complete a FAFSA for the upcoming academic year, you will need your financial information from the past year, including your federal income tax return. If you file the FAFSA before you do your taxes, you may use your estimated income information. However, you must update the estimated tax information with the final income figures reported on your federal tax form. 

The distribution of financial aid resources is based on your family's ability to pay the college costs; therefore, if you are married, you will need your spouse's information and, if you are a dependent student, you will need information for your parent(s) and/or stepparent(s).

It may also be helpful to have the following documents:

  • Your Social Security Card
  • Your driver’s license (if applicable)
  • W-2 forms or other records of your earned income
  • Your (and your spouse's, if married/remarried) previous year's federal income tax return
  • Your parents' previous year's federal income tax return
  • Your records of other untaxed income received
  • Current bank statements and records of stocks, bonds, and other investments
  • Business or farm records
  • Your alien registration card if you are not a U.S. citizen

Signature Options
Students completing the FAFSA on the web have two signature options.

1.     Electronic Signature
If you are filing a FASFA on the web, and you and your parents (if you are a dependent student) have valid federal Personal Identification Numbers (PIN), you will use those numbers as your electronic signatures. To apply for a PIN, click 

2.     Mail-in Signature Page
If you do not want to sign electronically, you can send a signature page to the federal processor. To do this, you must print out a signature page from 
FAFSA online or have the federal processor mail you a page to sign and mail it in. If you are a dependent student, your parent(s) will need to sign the signature page as well.

Your completed signature page must be received by the federal processor before your application can be processed.

Financial Aid Verification Process

Each year, the U.S. Department of Education (USDE) selects approximately thirty-percent of all Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) submissions for verification, a process in which the school’s Financial Aid Office must verify the information submitted on the FAFSA. In addition to records selected by USDE, Slippery Rock’s Financial Aid Office reserves the right to select any record for verification at its discretion. The complete policy and process for verification can be found on the Verification Page.


Contact Information

1 Morrow Way
Slippery Rock PA 16057

107 Maltby Center

724.738.2922 (fax)

M-F: 8:00-4:30
Summer: 8:00-4:00



Parent's Page