Entrance and Exit LOAN COUNSELING sessions are required by the U.S. Department of Education to ensure that you can fully understand your rights and obligations as a student loan borrower. Student loans are serious obligations with specific responsibilities. Student loan Entrance and Exit Counseling sessions will help prepare you for your new responsibilities, while ensuring that you make the most of your higher education and enjoy a worry free repayment process.
The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) will have a history of your federal loans. You can access this information at any time using your Federal PIN.
LOAN ENTRANCE COUNSELING: is required of all first-time borrowers before your loan eligibility can be confirmed at SRU. The loan counseling will help you understand the obligation you agree to meet as a condition for receiving a federal student loan.
To begin Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling, go to www.StudentLoans.gov, then:
- Click on “Sign In” on the left part of the page
- Use your federal (FAFSA) PIN to sign in
- After signing in, click on “Complete Entrance Counseling” and follow the step-by-step instructions.
- The entrance loan counseling session will take approximately 30 minutes
LOAN EXIT COUNSELING: is required before you withdraw, graduate, or drop below half-time attendance (even if you plan to transfer to another school). Exit counseling:
- Helps you understand your rights and responsibilities as a student loan borrower.
- Provides useful tips and information to help you manage your loans
To begin Stafford Loan Exit Counseling, go to www.NSLDS.ed.gov then
- Click on “Exit Counseling” under the “Tools and Resources” section and follow the page-by-page instructions.
- When asked to enter your PIN, use your federal (FAFSA) PIN
- Before-You-Go Worksheet will provide you with a convenient location to record what you have borrowed and which agency will be servicing your loan.