*IMPORTANT LOAN DISBURSEMENT INFORMATION CONCERNING ENROLLMENT AND DIRECT LOANS*
As per federal regulations, undergraduate students must be enrolled at least half-time (six credits for undergraduate students and six credits for graduate students) to be eligible for Federal Direct Loans.
The Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized and Federal Direct PLUS Loans WILL NOT DISBURSE to the Office of Student Accounts UNTIL THE STUDENT ACTUALLY BEGINS ATTENDANCE IN A TOTAL OF SIX CREDITS. It is the attendance in the second 3 credit class that gives the student 6 credits which constitutes eligibility for federal financial aid.
· If a student is enrolled in two eight week courses, 3 credits in the first 8 weeks and 3 credits in the second 8 weeks, the loan will not disburse until the second class begins.
· If a student is enrolled in a 3 credit course in Pre-session and a credit course in Summer Session II, the loan will not disburse until Summer Session II.
Therefore, students who will not begin attendance in a total of six credits until later in the semester will need to plan accordingly for the purchase of any books or materials for their classes. If a student drops a course and becomes less than half-time, the student will no longer be eligible for federal loans.
The Federal Graduate PLUS Loan is a credit-based loan with a fixed interest rate of 7.21%, with default and up front origination fees of up to 4.288% (after October 1, 2014, it will be 4.292%). Students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 graduate credits) in a graduate degree program (master's or doctorate) to access a Graduate PLUS loan. For additional information about the Federal Graduate PLUS Loan, please click here.
Repayment: Repayment does not begin until 60 days after the loan is fully disbursed to the school (for a full-year loan, after the Spring portion is disbursed to SRU). However, if you are a graduate or professional student, your loan will be placed into deferment while you are enrolled at least half-time and for an additional six months after you cease to be enrolled at least half-time. Additional information regarding repayment can be found at www.StudentLoans.gov.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the student.
- Once on www.StudentLoans.gov simply click on "Sign In" on the left side of the page.
- also...if you forgot or don't have a PIN, you can go to www.PIN.ed.gov to request a duplicate or to create a new PIN.
- After signing in, click on "Request Direct PLUS Loan"
- Complete the required items; use "August 2014 through May 2015" for the loan term dates; then "submit" the PLUS request.
- Then, you must click on "Home" to return to the www.StudentLoans.gov homepage to continue to the next step of the PLUS Loan process, which is signing the Grad PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note.
- Click on the "My Account" button located in the top box, next to your name.
- Click on "Complete Master Promissory Note"
- Click on "Graduate PLUS"
- Complete the required items and then "Submit" the Master Promissory Note
If the Graduate PLUS Application has been APPROVED, the application will be forwarded to Slippery Rock University. Please allow approximately 1-2 weeks for a Graduate PLUS Loan to be processed. Graduate students are encouraged to file the application early to allow for the loan funds to arrive at the school.
If the Graduate PLUS Application has been DENIED and the student indicated he/she was going to appeal or seek an endorser, once the endorser/appeal has been approved, please forward the confirmation email with the student’s name and student Rock ID to email@example.com.
1 Morrow Way
Slippery Rock PA 16057
107 Maltby Center