1. Carefully review your options about the Post 9/11 GI Bill by reading the information on the www.gibill.va.gov web site. The VA page does have a section called “Compare the Programs” so that you can review your options. The SRU Veterans Affairs is unable to provide this type of advice because we do not have access to your military records, and we do not make the determination of your eligibility.
2. If you are considering the switch to the Post 9/11 GI Bill, please be aware that it is an irrevocable decision when you elect to give up one of the other VA benefit programs (Chapter 30, 1606, 1607).
3. If you decide to switch to the Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill (or begin using VA benefits for the first time), you will need to do the following:
You will need to submit the VA application by completing the on-line form at http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp
- Click on "Start VONAPP"
- If you have any questions when you are completing the form, please call the VA at 1-888-GIBILL1.
4. You will need to complete the SRU VA Enrollment. Please attach a copy of the application you submitted to the VA.
5. After the VA has determined your eligibility for Chapter 33, you should send a copy of the determination letter to the SRU Office of Veterans Affairs. The VA will not send the school this information, and SRU will need this letter to know about your tuition rate. Chapter 33 entitles you to some/all of tuition depending on your eligibility.