Skip to main content
Financial Aid 

 Veteran Education Benefits for Spouses and Dependents 



Survivors of deceased veterans, spouses of living veterans and children of either who are between 18 and 26 years of age may be eligible if the veteran’s death or permanent/total disability was the result of service in the Armed Forces. Eligibility of spouses generally extends to 10 years from the date of death or establishment of total disability. In certain cases, the age limit for children may be extended.

New Applicants under Chapter 35: You will be required to submit an original application, and must supply the name, social security number, date of birth, and claim or service number of the veteran. If you have already established eligibility for Chapter 35, you must supply your claim number and/or a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility.

Applying for Survivors and Dependents Education Benefits for the First Time

Click here to obtain the directions for Applying for Educational Benefits.


NOTE:  An enrollment certification form will be sent to you each spring. This information is used to certify your GI Bill for subsequent semesters, after your initial enrollment. If you do not return this form indicating your enrollment information, you will not be certified for future GI Bill education benefits.  The form will be available on the SRU Veterans Home page every April.


Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill Transfer of Entitlement Procedures

1. Carefully review your options about the Post 9/11 GI Bill by reading the information on the web site.

The page that lists specific information regarding Transfer of Entitlement is:

2. Further information is also available through the Department of Defense web site:

After reading the VA information, if you are unsure of whether or not the service person is eligible for transferring benefits, you can also call  1-888-GIBILL1 for further guidance.

3. Transferring Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits is a three step process.

  • The service person applies to transfer the Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to a dependent.
  • The dependent applies for the Post 9/11 GI BILL benefit AFTER the approval is received from the Department of Defense.
  • The dependent receives a Certificate of Eligibility in the mail from the VA. He or she attaches a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility to the form found in Step 7.

4. Once a service person decides to transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill entitlement, he or she must apply to transfer the benefits at

5. The transfer must be approved by the Department of Defense before the student can apply for the Post 9/11 GI Bill benefit.

6. The dependent will then need to submit the VA application by completing the on-line form at  Click on “Start VONAPP”. If any questions when completing the form, please call the VA at 1- 888-GIBILL1.

7. The dependent will need to print and complete the SRU VA Enrollment Form.

8. SRU cannot defer your tuition or partial tuition from the VA until we have a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility letter from the VA. This letter will indicate what percentage of your tuition and fees will be covered by the VA through the Post 9/11 GI Bill.


Postsecondary Educational Gratuity Program 

This program honors individuals who lost their lives protecting the citizens of Pennsylvania by helping their children fund their education.

The Postsecondary Educational Gratuity Program provides a waiver for tuition, fees, and on-campus room and board costs charged by public postsecondary institutions. This waiver applies only to charges that remain after all other grants (federal, state, and outside scholarships) have been applied to your student account.

Am I Eligible?:
To be considered for a Postsecondary Educational Gratuity Program waiver you must:

  • Be a resident of Pennsylvania
  • Be a child by birth or adoption of a police officer, firefighter, rescue or ambulance squad member, corrections facility employee, or active National Guard member who died after January 1, 1976, as a direct result of performing his or her official duties
  • Be a child by birth or adoption of a sheriff, deputy sheriff, National Guard member, or other individual who was on federal or state active military duty who died after September 11, 2001, as a direct result of performing his or her official duties
  • Be 25 years of age or younger when you apply for the program
  • Have already applied for available scholarships, as well as state and federal grants
  • Be enrolled at a Pennsylvania community college, state-owned institution, or state-related institution as a full-time undergraduate student pursuing an associate's or bachelor's degree

For further information, including the application, click here.


REPS (Restored Entitlement Program for Survivors)

REPS benefits are a restoration of Social Security benefits that were reduced or terminated by the Omnibus Act (1981). The DVA pays the benefits to certain surviving spouses or children between 18 and 22 of a veteran who died on active duty before August 13, 1981. For eligibility information, contact the Dept of Veterans Affairs (DVA) at 1-800-827-1000.


Educational Gratuity Program (for dependents)

The applicant must be the child of a veteran whose 100% disability is war or armed conflict service-connected, or who died while on active duty or as a result of service-connected disability, hostile fire, or a terrorist attack during peacetime, as determined the Dept. of Military Affairs. An applicant must be between the ages of 16 and 24, a resident of Pennsylvania for 5 years immediately prior to filing for the benefit, attend an approved PA state institution and demonstrate financial need. Contact the PA Dept. of Military Affairs, Ft. Indiantown Gap, at 717-861-8910.


Contact Information

1 Morrow Way
Slippery Rock PA 16057

107 Maltby Center

724.738.2922 (fax)

M-F: 8:00-4:30
Summer: 8:00-4:00

WARNING: Some bogus web pages have appeared regarding veterans services. Please be careful. Authentic government web pages include the ending (.gov) as part of the web page.

A Guide for Veterans
Click the image to view the SRU brochure for Veterans, Service Members, and their Families


Debt Management and Identity Theft