Skip to main content

 Frequently Asked Questions For Graduate Students 



Now that you’re on your way to beginning graduate studies at Slippery Rock University, you may have a few questions.  Below is a list of Frequently Asked Questions that we hope will assist you in your preparations for your graduate program.  Feel free to contact us anytime as needed for assistance:

Office of Graduate Admissions
Slippery Rock University
1-877-SRU-GRAD, 724-738-2051
Fax: 724-738-2146

When can I register for classes? 
Registration for the summer and fall terms begins in April of each year;
and for spring, begins in November. Registration generally continues until classes begin or until specific courses are filled to capacity. Graduate students admitted and in good standing as degree/certificate-seeking or one-time non-degree students can register the first day of registration.  Check the course schedule on the SRU home page at or call the Office of Graduate Admissions for exact dates.

How do I register for classes? 
You can register online using MySRU Portal, at You can also register by meeting with your advisor or contacting Academic Records and Summer School, 107 Old Main, 724-738-2010. 

What is MySRU Portal?                                                               
MySRU Portal is an online portal which can be used to register for classes, access and print your class schedule, check your grades, update any changes to your address or phone number, access important links, pay
your bill, and much more!

Who do I contact if I have questions about registration?       
Contact in order; your assigned academic advisor, your program’s academic department office, graduate coordinator, the Office of Academic Records (724-738-2010), or the Office of Graduate Admissions (724-738-2051).

Who is my academic advisor?
All degree/certificate-seeking graduate students are assigned a faculty member from the department of their major.  You will receive this information in the mail shortly after your acceptance to the University. You can also call your graduate department office for more information.

How do I access the master schedule?
You can find the master schedule at
. From here, you will be able to find out what classes are available for your department for the term and see how many seats are available. You will also find important information about pre-requisites and departmental policies regarding the classes.

How can I get my class schedule?
Schedules can also be accessed online from the MySRU Portal.

When do classes begin?
Generally, fall classes begin at the end of August and spring classes begin in mid-January. Summer classes are split into Pre-Session (second part of May), Session I (month of June), and Session II (month of July). Calendars can also be accessed online from the home page of our main website

How do I gain access to my on-line courses through Desire 2 Learn?
Information about accessing and using Desire 2 Learn (D2L), as well as general student help information, is available at the following URL:
Your D2Lusername is the same as your SRU email username. Your D2L password is initially set to be your birth date in a 6 digit format ( MMDDYY ).

How do I access the Bailey Library off-campus databases?
From off campus, you can access the on-line journal articles and databases by using either of two methods: your SRU network logon, or your 16-digit student ID ISO number found on your student ID card. Your SRU network logon is the same username and password that you will use for accessing D2L and SRU email. If you decide to purchase a student ID, your ISO number will be located on the front of that card. Additional information is available at the following URL:

How do I reset my SRU username and password?
Student’s whose passwords have expired can reset them by following the instructions, from on- or off-campus, at the following URL:

How do I find out about meal plan options?
General information on all types of meal plans and food services is listed online at Students may also contact the University Food Services Office in Weisenfluh Dining Hall at 724-738-2038. For evening hour food service, visit Rocky’s Grille, located in the Student Union, or Taylor and Byrnes Gourmet Cafes, located in the lobby of the Student Union and also in the Bailey Library.

How am I billed for my classes?
Look for a detailed explanation about billing to come in the mail several weeks before the start of the semester. Payment is due before classes begin and many options are available, including check, credit card, and payment over the phone or online using ROCKTALK. Call Student Accounts at 724-738-2088 or visit online at
 for more information.

Are graduate students eligible to apply for financial aid?
Yes, you may apply for financial aid using a FAFSA form, which is available in the Financial Aid Office at 724-738-2044. SRU’s federal school code is 003327. The financial aid website is
. Please note, in order to be eligible for Financial Aid as a Graduate student, you must be registered for at least 6 credits of Graduate coursework per semester. One-time non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid. 

Are there graduate assistantships available?
There are approximately 100 graduate assistantships funded each year, both full and part-time. They come with a full or partial tuition waiver as well as a stipend each semester. Recipients are responsible for all university fees and room/board as they are not covered under the terms of the assistantship program.
Visit online at  to learn more, or call the Office of Graduate Admissions at 724-738-2051. 

What housing options exist for graduate students?
Graduate students can live on-campus in a residence hall or the Rock Apartments. Information on local realtors and off-campus housing is also provided. Call the Office of Housing at 738-738-2082 for more information or visit online at

Where do I get my ID card?
The ID Card Office is located in Watson Hall and can be reached at 724-738-2100. Look for extended hours during the first few weeks of classes.  The current cost for new ID cards is $15.00 per card and students must gain official admission into a graduate program in order to purchase a student ID.
Check out the website at
for more information.

Why do I need an ID card?
Your ID card provides many services and benefits, including: free access to the state-of-the-art recreation center known as the “ARC” and free access to SRU home athletic events. Also, it acts as your library card and contains your protected logon information on the back. Check out the website at for more information.

Where can I find information on needed textbooks?
Visit online at or call the University Bookstore at 724-738-2104. You can pre-purchase your new or used textbooks online or buy them when classes begin.

How do I get to campus?
Directions are available online at

Are health services and insurance available?
Yes, there is a 24-7 health center. Health insurance is also available through Consolidated Health Plans. For more information, call 724-738-2052 or visit online at

Apply Now
Request Information
Online Viewbook
Open House
Rock Pay
Virtual Tour
Graduate Videos

Like us on Facebook Follow us on Instagram Folllow us on Twitter Subscribe on YouTube LinkedIn

SRU Codes:
GRE - 2658
MAT - 1660


Office of Graduate Admissions
Welcome Center,
105 North Hall
One Morrow Way
Slippery Rock, PA 16057-1236
Phone 724-738-2051
Fax 724-738-2146
Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania