Welcome to Slippery Rock University
Office for Students with Disabilities
105 University Union
Slippery Rock, PA 16057
Director: Linda M. Quidone
Phone - (724) 738-4877
Fax - (724) 738-4399
TDD - (724) 738-4501
Meet The Office Staff
Spring and Fall semesters Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday
Summer sessions: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday
Slippery Rock University will excel as a caring community of lifelong learners connecting with the world.
What is the Office for Students with Disabilities?
The Office for Students with Disabilities is available to any enrolled Slippery Rock University student having a documented disability. Slippery Rock University makes every effort to accommodate and serve students with disabilities to help them in their quest for academic success. The Office for Students with Disabilities provides students with reasonable accommodations and services to ensure equal access to education as intended by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008. Appropriate accommodations are individually based upon identified need. Services include assistance with, but are not limited to, the following disabilities: learning, physical, hearing, vision or psychological. The director meets with students periodically to determine the effectiveness of the accommodations and to establish any further accommodations necessary.
The following are examples of disabilities that are covered by the above laws:
- Learning disabilities (such as dyslexia, dysgraphia and dyscalculia)
- Medical health (such as cardiac disease, diabetes, arthritis, cancer, seizure disorder, etc.)
- Physical/mobility impairments (ambulatory, wheelchair)
- Hearing Impairments
- Visual impairments
- Emotional/psychological impairments (such as bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety, etc.)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Traumatic brain injury
- Temporary disabilities – disabilities existing only for a short period of time (6-months or less) as a result of injuries, surgery or short-term medical conditions.
What services are available?
The type of disability determines the appropriate accommodations. Services may include:
- Taking courses online may create a need for different accommodations. Accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis with documentation that has been provided and discussion with the student. An accommodation is based on a functional limitation of the disability.
It is important to contact the Office for student with Disabilities at 724.738-4877 as soon as possible if you will be requesting an online accommodation. Some accommodations may need up to 4 weeks lead time.
How do I access services?
Students are solely responsible for contacting the Office for Students with Disabilities to request any accommodations or services.
After a request is made, students must provide documentation under the following guidelines:
- Completed by a licensed and/or certified professional
- Contains the evaluator's name(s), and title(s), testing date(s), and student's age and grade level
- Includes any relevant test scores, other relevant data and interpretations
- Is based on battery of instruments which addresses aptitude, academic achievement and information processing (DSM-V criteria for learning disabilities and ADD/ADHD)
- Identifies the disability or medical condition and describes the limits it imposes
- Contains current information (no more than 3 years old)
The student and the director will meet to determine if the request is supported by the documentation. Services are provided dependent upon sufficient documentation.
Slippery Rock University has on-going projects to upgrade campus access. These projects include curb cuts, improved sidewalks, ramps, lowered wall fountains, and accessible bathrooms.
Upon admission to Slippery Rock University students with special housing needs should contact the Residence Life Office at (724) 738-2082 and the Office for Students with Disabilities at (724) 738-4877. For special housing, please complete the Housing Request Form for the Students with Disabilities Office.
For additional information or assistance regarding services, activities and facilities that are accessible to and useable by persons with a disability, contact Linda M. Quidone, Director, Office for Students with Disabilities.
To obtain answers to general and technical questions about the ADA and to order technical assistance materials call: 800-514-0301 (voice) 800-514-0383 (TDD).
Bailey Library offers a variety of services and adaptive equipment for students with visual, hearing and learning disabilities. For assistance, ask a librarian, or call the Information Desk at 724-738-2641.