Skip to main content

 Questions about living on campus 




Frequently Asked Questions

About the Rock

Life on Campus

Student Life

Applications & Admission


Are students required to live on campus?

First-year students (freshmen) are required to live on campus for their first academic year, unless they live at home with their parent(s) or primary caregiver(s) within a reasonable commuting distance. After the completion of the first-year, students may choose to remain in an on-campus residence hall, move into our on-campus Rock Apartments, or take advantage of a variety of off-campus housing options.

What residence hall options are available to students? 

Slippery Rock is proud to offer new residential suites to students. Traditional residence halls are still available. The new residential suites offer special interest floors, where students with similar interests and academic majors may choose to live near one another. We offer ten living-learning floors, including Leadership, Honors, Education, Math & Science and Outdoor Adventures. For more housing information and information on the residence halls, click here

Can students choose their own roommate?

Housing agreement terms and preference sheets are mailed to students who have been offered admission and who have submitted their $90 enrollment deposit. The receipt of the enrollment deposit, triggers Residence Life to mail information to the student. A $175 housing deposit will then be required. First year students (new freshmen) may request a residence hall where they would like to live. Housing assignments are made on a space available basis and all requests may not be able to be honored so students are particularly encouraged to apply early. Students who wish to reside with a particular friend/relative may request to do so. Mutual roommate requests will be honored before a residence hall preference (either traditional or suite-style) as long as vacancies permit. For more information on the room reservation process, click here.

Do students need to bring their own microwave, refrigerator, rugs, or computer when they move in?

All residence halls are wired for the Internet and students receive free internet provider service on a fiber optic backbone. That means it's fast! We also offer multiple connections per room, or as we say "a port for every pillow." So, if your roommate is chatting on IM and you have homework - no problem - you each have your own access. However, PCs and Macs are not required. Computer labs are available in each residence hall for the convenience of the student residents, as well as in the Student Union, library, and many classroom buildings.

In the traditional residence halls, rugs, refrigerators, and microwaves are not provided for students, but can be rented by a company servicing the university within the first week of school in the fall. Students who do not wish to rent appliances may bring their own to the room. Personal appliances must meet residence hall safety requirements set by the Office of Housing.

The new residence halls are carpeted and all studios and suites come equipped with refrigerators and microwaves.

Are freshmen permitted to have a car on campus? 

New students (freshmen) are permitted to have a car on campus.  A parking decal must be purchased from the University.  Specific parking lots are designated for commuters, faculty/staff, and students. 

Are all students required to have a meal plan? 

Students living in a University-owned residence hall are required to purchase a meal plan contract. There are nine plans available to residents as well as a few options designed specifically for commuter students. See the Food Services page for more information.

How do students without cars get around?

The majority of students walk to where they need to go on campus. In case you do not feel like walking, the Student Government Association provides a shuttle bus (affectionately referred to as the Happy Bus) that transports students to various locations throughout campus and the community of Slippery Rock, including a nearby plaza with a grocery store, drug store, and bank. On select weekends, this shuttle bus offers trips to the Prime Outlets in Grove City, the Clearview Mall in Butler, and Moraine Point Plaza in Butler, where you will find a vast array of stores and restaurants

What type of transportation is available to the nearest bus station and airport?

Slippery Rock is located only about 1 hour from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, so students have access to the Pittsburgh International Airport and the Greyhound and Amtrak stations in Downtown Pittsburgh. The University does not offer transportation to these facilities and there is no public transit connection from town. Airport Orbit (724) 794 - 4833 or (800) 443 - 8687 in the town of Slippery Rock provides airport transportation pick-ups and drop-offs as one-way or round-trip transports to/from the Airport, Amtrak, and Greyhound stations. They also provide Point-2-Point Transfers throughout Western Pennsylvania.

Where do students go if they get sick? 

McLachlan Student Health Center is available to all students 24-hours a day, seven days a week during the school year. Nurse practitioners and registered nurses are available for primary care; licensed physicians are available by appointment. The health center has various facilities, such as a relaxation room, that are available to promote student awareness of healthy lifestyles. Complimentary emergency transportation from the Health Center is provided to Grove City and Butler Hospitals when necessary.
800.929.4778 or 724.738.2015

Office of Admissions
1 Morrow Way
Slippery Rock, PA 16057

Apply Now
Request Information
Visit the Rock
Online Viewbook
College Portrait

SRU Codes - FASFA-003327, SAT-2658, ACT-3716