Teach a Class.doc
A "class" meets at least twice; a "workshop" meets just once.
"Trips" usually take several hours, but longer trips are possible.
We welcome proposals at any time.
Specific plans for ILR classes, trips, etc. are developed during the following months:
- Fall Term Classes -- April through late May
- Spring Term Classes -- October through early December
Time frames and length of meetings:
Although we do have a few logistical constraints, the ILR welcomes proposals that fall outside our usual parameters.
- A CLASS generally meets for 2-8 sessions. Each session usually lasts 1.5 or 2 hours.
- A WORKSHOP typically meets on a single day, and can last 2 to 8 hours.
- Proposals for overnight or day trips are WELCOME.
- In the FALL Term, most classes/events begin no earlier than the 3rd or 4th week of September and end no later than Thanksgiving.
- In the SPRING term, most classes begin no earlier than the 3rd or 4th week of March and end by late May.
Classes planned for the months of June, July, August or December, January, February can be arranged in special cases (e.g., a Holiday shopping trip; a sailing class, etc.).
Facilitators and Instructors are urged to participate in the Kick-Off Celebration which typically is scheduled 2-3 weeks prior to the start of ILR classes.
Level and Format:
- ILR members are well educated and mentally sharp. Classes/events may include suggested readings, but exams and required assignments areverboten.
- Formats that encourage active participation are preferred.
Days, Times and Locations:
ILR participants prefer activities in the daytime, Mondays through Fridays. (Saturdays may be used for one-time events, trips or workshops.) We usually schedule classes on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, reserving Fridays for trips or other one-time events.
Classrom availability changes from term to term. Please contact a ILR staff member about specific needs for your class (724-738-1604).
Benefits of Leading an ILR Class/Event:
- You meet lively and interesting people.
- University Volunteer Status: ILR instructors/facilitators receive a letter from the SRU President appointing them as official university volunteers. This status provides limited insurance coverage while on "university business".
- Free SRU Parking Sticker
- Mileage Reimbursement if travel exceeds 20 miles one way.
- Expense reimbursement for supplies, duplicating, etc. that you purchase for the ILR class/event.
Your proposal will be forwarded to the ILR Curriculum Committee.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Please contact us with ideas for class topics and suggestions for possible instructors:
Tom Hannon (724) 794-6328
Warren Smith (724) 738-0704
Ruth Hoffman (724) 738-1604