Skip to main content
Current International Students 

 Employment Opportunities 



On Campus Employment

F-1 and J-1 students may work on campus 20 hours or fewer per week while school is in session and full-time during vacation terms or any official school breaks. J-1 students must have permission from their program sponsor prior to beginning on-campus employment if the employment is not listed as a source of funding on their DS-2019. F-1 students do not require additional permission for on-campus work.

Please note that on campus is defined as work for Slippery Rock University. Work that takes place at SRU for another employer (e.g., an approved vendor that provides services to students such as AVI) is considered on campus. If the employer does not provide direct services to students it is not "on campus" and would require employment authorization. Students should discuss employment authorization with Genevieve the International Student Advisor for any employment opportunity that involves an employer other than Slippery Rock University.

Optional Practical Training (OPT):

F-1 students may be eligible for 12 months of full- or part-time off-campus employment using OPT with an Employment Authorization Document (work authorization) approved by US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). OPT Resources:

Other Employment-Related Issues

Social Security Number
The primary purpose of the Social Security Number (SSN) is to track individuals for
taxation purposes in the US. F-1 students may apply for a social security number in person with the Social Security Administration only after a job offer has been secured or employment has begun.

SSN Resources:

More information to come on other employment opportunities coming soon!

Apply Now
Request Information
Facebook Icon Twitter Icon Blogger Icon