The University offers the McAfee Anti-Virus Scan Program for all faculty and staff that can be used for all on-campus and off-campus computers. McAfee Information for Students.
After reading these instructions:
If your computer operates with Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP, 2000, NT 4.0, Windows 95, 98, 98 SE, or ME click here for the program download: McAfee Anti-Virus
If you are a Mac user click here for the Program Download: McAfee Anti-Virus
- Click on a McAfee link above.
- You will be asked for your UserID and Password:
- If you are faculty/staff, your SRU UserID is: srunet\firstname.lastname (ex: srunet\john.doe) and your password is the same you use everyday to log in
- If you are a student, your SRU UserID is: srunet\your initials plus the 4 random digits (example: srunet\jed1234) and your password is the same one you use everyday as your on-campus login.
Your UserID is located on the back of your SRU ID Card
- After logging in, the program begins unzipping and begins loading, and the following screen will come up.
- "Network Associates End User Agreement"
- Check "I accept the terms in the license agreement"
- Click "OK"
- The next Screen to come up may say "Previous Verson Detected" if you are updating rather than installing McAfee.
- Check "Preserve Settings"
- Click "Next"
- The Next Screen is "Select Setup Type"
- Check "Typical"
- Click "Next"
- The "Ready to Install" Screen displays
- Click "Ready to Install"
- When the screen "McAfee VirusScan Enterprise Set-up has completed successfully displays
- Check "Update Now"
- Check "Run On-Demand Scan"
- Click "Finish"
- McAfee AutoUpdate will begin running to check for program updates
- When it is done updating, in 30 seconds, McAfee will automatically begin running to check for viruses
- When McAfee is done checking for viruses, it closes and becomes a small icon on your desktop
- How to Use VirusScan
- McAfee services are managed and run from the McAfee Agent with this icon that appears in the Windows system tray or Notification Area (if you're running Windows XP). This is the area usually on the lower right-hand corner of your screen, next to the clock.
- Once VirusScan is installed, it will run automatically in the background when your PC starts up. You do not need to start VirusScan. You can perform several activities through the Agent Icon, such as manually checking for updates or setting automatic update options, running a scan or creating a rescue disk.
- To access VirusScan options:
Right click on the Agent Icon.
Select the desired option, such as Check for Updates (for manual updates) or Scan