Skip to main content

 Traveling to the U.S. - Visa Information 



F-1 student visa:

Students who plan to apply for admission to Slippery Rock University are advised to apply for a student visa. To obtain a student visa (F-1) you are required to provide official verification of your ability to meet your education and living expenses here. This is not used to determine academic qualification for admission but must be satisfactorily documented before we can issue the form I-20 used for obtaining a student visa through the U.S. Consulate. To complete this process please submit the following:

  • Financial Suppory Statement
  • Original bank statement indicating sufficient funds available for the first year
    • More information about the F-1 visa process can be provided upon request

      Visa Waiver Program:

      Travelers coming to the U.S. for tourism or business for 90 days or less from qualified countries may be eligible to visit the U.S. without a visa if they meet the visa waiver program requirements.

      Currently, 35 countries participate in the Visa Waiver Program, as shown below:

      Visa Waiver Program - Participating Countries
      • Andorra
      • Australia
      • Austria
      • Belgium
      • Brunei
      • Czech Republic
      • Denmark
      • Estonia
      • Finland
      • France
      • Germany
      • Greece
      • Hungary
      • Iceland
      • Ireland
      • Italy
      • Japan
      • Latvia
      • Liechtenstein
      • Lithuania
      • Luxembourg
      • Malta
      • Monaco
      • The Netherlands
      • New Zealand
      • Norway
      • Norway
      • Portugal
      • San Marino
      • Singapore
      • Slovakia
      • Slovenia
      • South Korea
      • Spain
      • Sweden
      • Switzerland
      • United Kingdom

        If your country is not listed above and you do not plan to commence study at SRU upon completing the International Bridge Program we advise you to apply for a tourist visa (see below for more information)

        Tourist Visa

        The primary purpose of a visitor visa is for tourism, but you can participate in a short course of study that does not award credit towards a degree. A consular officer will determine the visa category you will need based on the purpose of your travel, and your supporting documentation.

        To apply for a visitor visa you should visit the website for your local U.S Embassy or Consulate. As part of the visa application process you will meet with a Consulate Officer for an interview. Making your appointment for an interview is the first step in the visa application process. The waiting time for an interview appointment for applicants can vary, so early visa application is strongly encourgaged. Visa wait times for interview appointments and visa processing time information for each U.S. Embassy or Counsulate woldwide is available on the web at the folling website Visa Wait Time, and on most embassy websites.

        For more information on scheduling an appointment for an interview, paying the application processing fee, review embassy specific instructions, and much more by visiting the U.S. Embassy or Consulate website where you will apply.

        Required Documentation

        Each applicant for a visitor visa must submit these forms and documentation as explained below:

        • Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, Form DS-160. Visit our DS-160 webpage to learn more about the DS-160 online process.
        • A passport valid for travel to the United States and that is valid at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the United States.
        • One(1) 2x2 photograph. See the required photo format explained in the Photograph Requirements.

    Apply Now
    Request Information
    Facebook Icon Twitter Icon Blogger Icon