NIMS Category: OPERATIONS
Primary Agency: SRU Police Department
Support Agencies: Municipal Police Departments
Pennsylvania State Police
Emergency Support Function (ESF) # 11 – Public Safety & Security assigns responsibilities and provides for coordination among law enforcement agencies during emergencies.
Public Safety & Security support includes coordination and deployment of uniformed personnel to assist local forces in field operations to ensure security, maintain stability and order within SRU and the surrounding community, and otherwise guard the public safety.
Potential operations include:
• Establishing perimeter security at the incident site.
• Managing traffic patterns.
• Patrolling the area.
• Implementing protective action orders.
• Apprehending offenders.
Situations & Assumptions
A. During emergencies, police services must be expanded to provide the increased protection required by disaster conditions. Adequate public safety & security resources and services will often be available through existing mutual aid agreements and, if the incident exceeds our capabilities additional support will be provided by state and federal agencies.
B. Upon the declaration of an emergency by the Governor, the Pennsylvania State Police and the National Guard may be available to augment University, municipal, and county police forces.
C. Immediately following an emergency there may be a heavy demand for police service. Anticipated demand for police service requires a coordinating agency to effectively allocate resources. During emergency operations, law enforcement resources may be in short supply.
Concept of Operations
1. Emergency law enforcement operations may be expanded beyond normal functions and responsibilities and include maintenance of law and order, traffic control and crowd control.
2. The SRU Police Department is responsible for coordinating law enforcement activities during emergency operations. Coordination among law enforcement units will be effected through the SRU-EOC.