NIMS Category: OPERATIONS
Primary Agency: SRU Environmental Health and Safety
Support Agencies: SRU Facilities and Planning
SRU Emergency Planning Committee
Local Fire Departments
Emergency Support Function (ESF) #9 – Hazardous Materials coordinates the resources and services necessary to support an emergency response or recovery effort essential to the remediation of conditions caused by toxic chemicals or hazardous materials release.
1. Hazardous Materials support includes confining or containing accidental releases of hazardous materials and hazardous waste and taking actions that mitigate the effects of the leak.
2. Potential operations include:
• Product identification.
• Suppressing chemical fires.
• Conducting soil tests or collecting air samples.
• Constructing stabilizing berms or other barriers.
• Applying retardant materials.
• Collecting concentrated supplies of hazardous materials.
• Removing contaminated soil.
• Decontaminating a site or individual.
Situations & Assumptions
A. Hazardous materials include oil, fuels, chemicals, toxic debris and waste, radioactive substances and other contaminants with properties capable of polluting soil, water tables or water bodies or harming humans or animals.
B. Local responders will act as incident commanders unless a formal request is made by SRU officials for Borough/Township or Butler County personnel to assume command. The primary agency may provide an on-scene coordinator at the request of local responders.
Concept of Operations
1. Information regarding the extent of the incident will be collected to enable the team to develop an appropriate response strategy.
2. Weather forecasting information will be obtained and disseminated to municipalities to aid in local planning or response operations.
3. Individuals subject to exposure will be decontaminated or otherwise treated with appropriate medical care.