To provide general building fire safety requirements to reduce the opportunity for a fire situation.
1. All stairwells (in and under), exits, and passageways to and from exits shall be kept free of all obstructions at all times. No furnishings, decorations, other combustible or flammable objects shall obstruct exits, access to, egress from or visibility of.
2. Fire doors must be kept closed at all times unless they are held open by an approved device interconnected to the fire alarm system.
3. Flammable and combustible materials should be present in work areas only in quantities required for the days job, and must be placed in an approved storage area at the end of each work day.
4. Material must not obstruct sprinkler heads or be piled around fire extinguishers, fire alarm pull station locations, or sprinkler and standpipe control valves. To obtain proper distribution of water, a minimum of 18 inches of clear space is required below sprinkler deflectors.
5. Dispose of all trash as soon as possible in trash cans or dumpsters. Waste materials must never be piled in corridors or stairwells while awaiting removal.
B. Electrical Appliances
1. Space heaters, coffee makers, and all other appliances with exposed heating elements should never be left unattended while in operation. They should be unplugged after each use and stored only after they are cool enough to touch. Ensure that such appliances are operated away from combustible materials such as files, curtains, trash containers, etc.
2. Only portable electric space heaters complying with the design requirements of the EH&S office and approved by F&P may be used at Slippery Rock University. Space heaters shall not be placed under desks or in other enclosed areas.
3. Appliances shall bear the label of Underwriters Laboratory, Factory Mutual or other recognized national testing agency, indicating they are approved for safe operation.