To provide guidelines to follow when using space heaters in order to reduce the potential for a fire situation.
The following guidelines must be followed when using portable space heaters:
- The heater must have an automatic safety switch that turns off the unit if it is tipped over.
- Units must be grounded and UL approved.
- Before using the heater, inspect the electrical cord. Look for frayed wire or cracked insulation. If there are any defects in the cord or unit, DO NOT USE. Do not connect an extension cord to the heater.
- Never leave the unit on while you are out of your office. Always check the unit before leaving your office for lunch or a the end of the day and make sure it is shut off.
- Do not place the heater near combustible materials such as papers, magazines or office furniture. Allow at least three feet between the heater and combustible material.
- Do not place the heater in or near wet areas or in high traffic areas, such as exit ways.
- Before operating the heater, always read and follow the manufacturers operating instructions.
NEVER USE SPACE HEATERS IN AN AREA WHERE FLAMMABLE VAPORS MAY BE PRESENT.