Skip to main content

 Refund Policy 



    This refund policy, effective fall semester, 2009, supersedes all previously published information.
  • The Board of Governors for the PA State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) has issued a new refund policy for the 14 state universities, which Slippery Rock University must implement with the Fall 2009 Semester
    Students are not charged for any courses dropped during the "drop period" at the start of each semester. After the last date of the drop period, NO REFUNDS will be given for any dropped courses. Charges will not be reduced.


In accordance with the PASSHE Policy 1983-19-A, Slippery Rock University will:

  1. Will not refund or adjust Technology Fee. The only adjustment will take place the first week of classes, when, if the student totally withdraws, the technology fee will be credited, as will tuition and mandatory fees.
  2. Refund room and board charges in accordance with the tuition refund policy percentages. An exception to that policy will be made during the first week of class. Even if tuition and fees are credited in full, a percentage charge for one week of room and board (10%) will be assessed to the student. After the first week, adjustments for room and board charges will follow the tuition percentages as stated in the PASSHE refund policy.
  3. Refund mandatory student fees: Academic Enhancement Fee, University Union Fee, Rec Center Fee, Health Services Fee and General Service Fee in accordance with the tuition refund percentages as stated in PASSHE policy. As stated above, if a student totally withdraws the first week of class, there will not be a charge for tuition or mandatory fees.
  4. Students who reduce their credit hours after drop period so as to qualify for billing as part-time students will not be eligible for a refund of tuition and fees. Refunds of charges shall me made only for full semester withdrawals in accordance with the PASSHE refund policy.

For total withdrawal from the university see the chart below.  

Refund Percentage Duration
100% Through "drop period" (week 1)
80% Through week 2
60% Through week 3
50% Through week 4
40% Through week 5


Withdrawing from the University:

Any student withdrawing from the University must OFFICIALLY withdraw by contact the appropriate office listed below.

  • New and transfer undergraduate students who wish to withdraw BEFORE the semester begins should contact the Admissions office at 724-738-2015.
  • Returning undergraduate students who wish to withdraw BEFORE the semester begins should contact the Retention Services Office at 724-738-2011.
  • All undergraduate students withdrawing AFTER the semester begins should contact the Retention Services Office at 724-738-2011.
  • All graduate students withdrawing from the University should contact the Graduate Admissions Office at 724-738-2051.


The Federal Government requires SRU to return Financial Aid (Title IV) money to the appropriate Title IV programs for any student withdrawing through 60% of the semester. Students withdrawing Title IV aid may owe the University a balance once the aid is returned. Title IV aid must be returned to the Title IV program before any refund can be returned to the student.

The amount of assistance that you have earned is determined on a pro rata basis. For example, if you completed 30% of the semester, you earn 30% of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive. Once you have completed more than 60T of the semester, you earn all of the assistance that you were scheduled to received for that period.

If you did not receive all of the funds that you earned, you may be due a post-withdrawal disbursement. If the post-withdrawal disbursement includes loan funds, you may choose to decline the loan funds so that you don't incur additional debt. The University may automatically use all or a portion of your post-withdrawal disbursement (including loan funds, if you accept them) for tuition, fees, room and board charges (as contracted with the university). For all other school charges, the school needs your permission to use the post-withdrawal disbursement. If you do not give your permission, you will be offered the funds. However, it may e in your best interest to allow the school to keep the funds to reduce your debt at the school.

If you (or the university or your parent) received more Title IV funds than you earned, the university must return a portion of the excess equal to the lesser of: your institutional charges multiplied by 1) the unearned percentage of your funds, or 2) the entire amount of excess funds. The school must return this amount even if it was originally refunded to you.

Refunds to those programs are required by law to be the first priority and must be returned in the following order:

  1. Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan
  2. Federal Perkins Loan
  3. Federal PLUS Loan
  4. Federal Pell Grant
  5. Federal ACG Grant
  6. Federal Smart Grant
  7. Federal SEOG
  8. Federal Teach Grant

If the university is not required to return all of the excess funds, you must return the remaining amount. Any loan funds that you must return, you (or your parent for a PLUS Loan) repay in accordance with the terms of the promissory note. That is, you make scheduled payments to the holder of the loan over a period of time.

Any amount of unearned grant funds that you must return is called an overpayment. The amount of a grant overpayment that you must repay is half of the unearned amount. The university will return these funds on your behalf, and you will owe this amount to the school.

The requirements for Title IV program funds when you withdraw are separate from the university's refund policy; therefore, you may still owe funds to the school to cover unpaid institutional charges. The university will also charge you for any Title IV program funds that the school was required to return.

In many cases, the student will owe a balance to the university after federal Title IV aid is returned.