Rocky makes Mascot Madness championship; needs your vote to defeat Kutztown’s Avalanche
March 31, 2016
SLIPPERY ROCK, Pa. - For the second straight year, Slippery Rock University's mascot, Rocky, will face Kutztown University's mascot, Avalanche, in the championship round of Pennsylvania's State System of Higher Education's Mascot Madness contest.
Avalanche defeated Rocky by a scant 11 votes in 2015.
The 2016 edition of the contest has witnessed Rocky defeat mascots from Edinboro, Clarion and Shippensburg universities on his march through the brackets, while Avalanche has knocked off rivals from Millersville, West Chester and Bloomsburg.
Voting for the championship round will begin at 9 a.m., April 4 and be open for a 24-hour period via the State System's official Twitter account: https://twitter.com/statesystem. A countdown to vote is available at www.sru.edu/vote.
For those members of Rock Nation wanting to help propel Rocky to victory, but don't yet have a Twitter account, signing up couldn't be easier.
To create a Twitter account:
- Go to http://twitter.com and find the sign up box or go directly to https://twitter.com/signup.
- Enter your full name, email address and a password.
- Click "Sign up for Twitter."
- Once you've clicked "Sign up for Twitter," you can select a username (usernames are unique identifiers on Twitter). Twitter will tell you if the username you want is available.
- Click "Create my account."
- Vote for Rocky at 9 a.m., April 4 by visiting the State System's Twitter feed (@statesystem).
Voting is open to everyone; so spread the word to all your family and friends.
"We've been told that KU is organizing an extensive 'feet on the ground' campaign to get students, faculty and staff to vote so that they can retain their title. Clearly we'd like to defeat them in the championship round and bring the title to SRU. To do that we're going to need a real effort on the part of the Rock Nation to sign up for twitter and then vote," said Darcy White, SRU director of web communications and Mascot Madness facilitator.
Rocky, a Slippery Rock native, spends most of his free time attending SRU sporting events and in The Rock's weight rooms. His favorite band is the Rolling Stones; his favorite cereal is Fruity Pebbles and his favorite movies are "Rocky I through IV."
MEDIA CONTACT: Robb King | 724.738.2199 | email@example.com