SRU-organized Graphical Web Conference seeks submissions
July 16, 2015
SLIPPERY ROCK, Pa. - The Slippery Rock University-organized Graphical Web Conference set for Sept. 23-25 in Pittsburgh and showcasing the latest in Web art and storytelling is accepting conference submissions from students, faculty, staff, alumni and artists worldwide until August 1.
Submissions for "The Graphical Web: Motion, Meaning, Stories, Standards, Pictures for Everyone" are welcome from artists utilizing new, open-source technologies for presenting visual information online. The call extends to a broad range of techies, from those who create and design graphics, to artists, scientists, journalists and data technicians.
David Dailey, SRU professor of computer science and expert in scalable vector graphics, is the conference chairman.
"The art outreach is a major new initiative for the conference," Dailey said. "We want to spotlight how art is being done in the world using the latest Web technologies. Last year, the theme was visual storytelling and how data visualization has taken over in journalism. This year, we are trying to focus on the artist's side of the Web. We are looking for cool, artist things people are doing with Web graphics in the arts."
With hundreds of people in attendance from around the world, participants will explore and present interactive and animated programs with graphically rich applications. Topics will include user interfaces, webapps, mapping, visualization, GIS, and usage of open Web graphic technologies such as SVG, Canvass, WebGL, CSS and HTML5 audio/video.
Artists will be notified of acceptance by Aug. 15. Accepted art will be exhibited at the Fairmont Hotel in Pittsburgh in the conference common area.
• Upload: up to three works in jpeg format (not to exceed 6MB) to: email@example.com for consideration.
• Title image files with your last name and a number to correspond with inventory (ex. Hertel_1, Hertel_2, Hertel_3)
• For time-based work: provide a link to YouTube or vimeo
• You may submit up to three images per piece (for three dimensional work)
• Include an inventory list with your name, and numbered entries: title, medium, date, size and email address for notification. Provide a 150-word biography on your art endeavors.
• Framed 2D works cannot exceed 24" x 30" and a weight of 10 lbs.
• 3D works weighing more than 40 lbs. will need to be handled by the artist throughout the delivery, installation and de-installation. Small 3D works weighing less than 10 lbs. will be placed on glass tables
• Artists are responsible for all shipping costs to and from SRU
• Artists are responsible for any insurance on their art work for shipping and event
• Accepted artists may be asked to supply high resolution jpeg images for public relations purposes related to the exhibition
Google and Adobe Systems Inc. are conference sponsors. Media sponsors include the Pittsburgh Technology Council, The World Wide Web Consortium and Khronos Group.
Dailey, who authored an SVG standards manual, said he conceived the idea of SRU hosting the conference while participating in the 2007 conference in Tokyo.
"This is an event that will attract world leaders in graphic standards and those in the use of Avant guard graphics on the web," he Dailey said. "It is truly the flagship of conferences."
MEDIA CONTACT: Gordon Ovenshine | 724.738.4854 | firstname.lastname@example.org