SRU earns OnlineColleges.com top 20 ranking
Sept. 29, 2016
SLIPPERY ROCK, Pa. - OnlineColleges.com has bestowed a top 20 in the state ranking upon Slippery Rock University.
OnlineColleges.com conducted research into 2,868 different accredited colleges and universities across the country, before creating its state-by-state rankings.
SRU was ranked No. 19 in Pennsylvania.
Using the National Center for Education Statistics' Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System, OnlineColleges.com generated a list of colleges and universities that met the following criteria:
Level of institution is either "four or more years" or "at least two years, but less than four years"
At least 1 percent of students are taking at least some of the classes via distance education
The 2,868 institutions were ranked on 11 criteria, using data from the National Center for Education Statistics and the weights specified:
- Number of programs offered via distance education: 25 percent;
- Percentage of students participating in distance education classes: 7 percent;
- Average in-state tuition for undergraduate and, if applicable, graduate students: 17 percent;
- Average out-of-state tuition for undergraduate and, if applicable, graduate students: 7 percent;
- Total electronic library collections, including digital books, databases and media: 7 percent;
- Availability of academic/ career counseling services: 9.5 percent;
- Availability of job placement services for graduates: 9.5 percent;
- Offers dual credit: 4.5 percent;
- Offers credit for life experience: 4.5 percent;
- Offers advanced placement credit: 4.5 percent; and
- Offers credit for military training: 4.5 percent
All schools were scored on a 10-point scale for each of the points listed above. Individual data point scores were then multiplied by their respective weights, and the scores were added together, for a maximum possible score of 10 points.
The complete list of Pennsylvania university rankings is available at: http://www.onlinecolleges.com/top-colleges-tool/pennsylvania.htm
MEDIA CONTACT: Robb King | 724.738.2199 | firstname.lastname@example.org