SRU named among the top 100 “best value” universities
Oct. 9, 2015
SLIPPERY ROCK, Pa. - Slippery Rock University has been named among the top 100 "best value" universities nationally in the annual outcomes-based, ETC College Ranking Index for 2016, which is produced by the nonprofit, Educate to Career.
"We are especially proud of this ranking in that it recognizes the University's commitment to providing students with a high-quality education at an affordable price," said Cheryl Norton, SRU president.
"The ETC College Rankings Index stand out as unique in that they place major emphasis on the workforce preparedness and the improvement in earnings and employability that grads derive from attending a particular college," said Michael Havis, president and founder of Educate to Career.
"Using our outcome-focused methodology, the Index empirically determines the economic value added by each of the colleges ranked within our system." Havis said. "Users of the Index will recognize that schools providing a practical education for a reasonable tuition-rate are highly ranked. Public, state colleges are particularly adept at graduating students who land good jobs, and are unburdened by excessive loan balances. In our view, this is how the college education system is supposed to function."
Havis said some of the metrics used in calculating the college rankings are:
• Percentage of graduates employed in occupations that utilize their field of study
• Average salary earned by recent graduates, by school for each major category (adjusted for region, occupation and other variables)
• Percentage of persons employed within one year of graduation (weighted on an occupational trend basis)
• Major, weighted against national norms
• Number of years to graduate
• Tuition- in state, net cost
• Loan default rates
• A basket of input variables which norm students to a common standard for each major
Two other State System universities, Shippensburg and Bloomsburg, were also ranked in the top 100 "best value" schools.
The college rankings can be found at: https://www.jobsearchintelligence.com/etc/college-rankings-result.php
MEDIA CONTACT: Rita Abent | 724.738.2091 | firstname.lastname@example.org