The University is focused on institutional effectiveness and renewal through a commitment to assessment built around the fulfillment of the vision and mission of the Institution.
The Office of Institutional Effectiveness, Assessment, and Accreditation facilitates and supports campus-wide processes for determining and documenting the effectiveness of programs, services and the institution as a whole in order to foster sustainable continuous quality improvement. The office works closely with administrators, staff, faculty, students, and the community to support quality student learning and to foster continuous quality improvement. Institutional Effectiveness includes Program Review, Student Learning Outcomes, Nonacademic Assessment, and Accreditation.
The State System Board of Governors Program Review Policy 1986-04-A lists three purposes for the need for system universities to undertake a program review process:
- To assure deliberate and continuous attention to enhancement of the quality and to assure mission centrality of academic- and student-support programs with State System Universities.
- To analyze and employ quantitative and qualitative data, including student-learning outcomes, on individual programs that will contribute to both university and State System planning.
- To provide the chancellor and Board of Governors, as well as the council of trustees of each university, with assurance that University programs are being assessed in a systematic fashion and that plans for making continuous improvements are developed and implemented.
Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania program review Policies and Procedures are integral to the planning processes of the university, an essential element in determining the centrality of programs to the mission and goals of the university, and represent one way the university continually improves its programs. Academic, Student Affairs, and Nonacademic departments participate in 5-year program review as a method for demonstrating current strengths and opportunities as well as strategic planning at the department level.
Measures/Methods demonstrating Institutional Effectiveness include:
- Annual Assessment of Student Learning Outcomes (SLO)
- Voluntary System of Accountability, College Portrait - SLO ETS Proficiency Profile Testing
- Regional & Programmatic Accreditations, Academic and Nonacademic Units
- Annual Institutional Effectiveness Assessment, Nonacademic Units
- Institutional Surveys Including: NSSE, SSI, and FYE Surveys
- 5 Year Program Review for Academic and Non-Academic Units
- Demonstrated alignment of student learning and department goals to the SRU mission and vision, accreditation standards, and the State System Strategic Plan.