The President's Commission for Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation (GISO) strives to address lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning, and intersex issues that move Slippery Rock University towards a more inclusive and supportive campus climate that is free of discrimination, intolerance and bigotry. We work toward understanding and appreciation of differences in our diverse faculty, staff, and students.
The President’s Commission on Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation will:
- Assess campus climate as it pertains to LGBTQI persons and make recommendations for improvement;
- Address heterosexism, homophobia, and anti-gay abuse or violence should such incidents occur;
- Advise the President regarding LGBTQI issues and inclusion as well as work to alleviate barriers and obstacles;
- Recommend changes that may become part of the university curriculum or training programs to enable students, faculty, and staff to function in a diverse society;
- Serve as advocates for, and leaders of, the institutional changes required for Slippery Rock University to become a multicultural campus community respectful of all people;
- Promote activities that demonstrate the university's commitment to diversity;
- Review campus policies for their effect on LGBTQI persons addressing issues of adverse impact; and,
- Provide a vehicle for communication between LGBTQI students, faculty and staff and university administration.