Skip to main content

 Frequently Asked Questions 



Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to commonly asked questions about Slippery Rock University conduct procedures appear below. Students are encouraged to review the Code of Conduct located on our website.

Why does Slippery Rock University uphold disciplinary rules?
Slippery Rock University represents a community. Like any community, certain standards must be established to instruct community members on what is permissible. As an institution of higher education, some rules relate to expectations for academic integrity and define cheating and plagiarism. Some rules explain what is permitted or not permitted in residence halls. Other rules emphasize that members of the Slippery Rock University community must comply with state and federal laws. By establishing these rules the university preserves the right to remove someone from the community who may be endangering the welfare of others.

Why do off-campus incidents get referred to the Office of Student Conduct? Slippery Rock University is an integral part of the surrounding community including Slippery Rock Borough, Slippery Rock Township, and Butler County. Any incident of a disciplinary nature occurring in the surrounding community will affect the ability of the university to maintain positive relationships with local citizens. Any significant incident that implicates those involved as representatives of Slippery Rock University, regardless of where the incident occurs, are also subject to university disciplinary action. By taking disciplinary action, the university upholds the expectation that students demonstrate good citizenship.

Why do students have to pay for and take an alcohol class?
The Alcohol and Other Drug Program is a required component of alcohol and drug related disciplinary offenses. The program costs $45 for the first referral and $70 for a second referral. The university has created this program as an educational response to violations of the law and university policy. Students who participate in the program learn more about laws relating to alcohol and other drugs and the impact that alcohol and/or drug use may have on their educational and occupational career. The program places particular emphasis on the culture of peer acceptance surrounding destructive alcohol and drug usage and balances issues of responsible decision making with legal obligations. Students referred to the program pay a fee for the program materials and the professional counselor that presents the workshops.

When are parents informed of disciplinary action?
Slippery Rock University policies have been established to notify the parents of dependent students of disciplinary action involving alcohol or drugs; sanctions of disciplinary probation; scheduling of a hearing to consider possible separation from the university; or suspension or dismissal decisions. Because the student is registered as dependent, the university has adopted the position that notifying the parents allows them the opportunity to advise their son or daughter in making appropriate decisions related to the disciplinary process.

Why does the Office of Student Conduct put holds on student registration?
A hold is placed on a student's registration only if the student has failed to complete a requirement established through a disciplinary sanction. In most cases a registration hold signifies failure to complete the Alcohol and Other Drug Program by the established deadline. Holds might also signify that required documentation of restitution or educational assignments has not been received. A student notified of a hold should contact the Office of Student Conduct at (724) 738-4985 to determine what actions are required to remove the hold.

What disciplinary notations appear on a student's academic transcript?
The only notation posted on a student's transcript for disciplinary action is the statement, "Separated Under Provision of Code of Conduct" for the period of time that a student is serving a disciplinary suspension or dismissal. There is no record on the transcript for any other type of sanction.

Could an education major who gets cited for an alcohol violation still teach?
In most cases, yes! This is a question where the answer depends on the circumstances. The more serious the circumstances, the more likely the incident could affect the teacher certification process. Students who desire to teach should understand the following factors:

  • Teachers are held to high standards of conduct. Anyone who wishes to teach should adopt those high standards in order to demonstrate professional responsibility.
  • Violations of the law are matters of public record. At Slippery Rock University the student newspaper, The Rocket, publishes the names of students who are arrested or cited by local police agencies. Students in the College of Education are routinely contacted to discuss any situation resulting in the publishing of their name in the police blotter.
  • Disciplinary record checks are conducted as a matter of routine prior to the assignment of student teaching placements. The College of Education reserves the right to withhold or cancel placement of a student teaching assignment based upon a proper review of a student's conduct.
  • Students must submit criminal record check documentation as part of their academic requirements and as part of any job application. Those criminal record checks will reflect information associated with a fingerprint record. Most citations for disorderly conduct, disorderly house, or underage consumption do not result in fingerprint records and, therefore, will not appear on the criminal records clearance form.
  • The College of Education ultimately determines whether a student receives certification. Any questions concerning the eligibility of a candidate for student teaching or certification should be directed to the Dean of the College of Education, 105 McKay Education Building, (724) 738-2007.

Does a student charged with violating the Student Code of Conduct need an attorney?
No. The conduct process is educational in nature. The intent of proceedings is to determine the facts of a particular incident and to make an appropriate decision concerning those facts. Ordinarily a student will understand the process, the options available for resolving an incident, and any recommended outcomes. Students are encouraged to identify an advisor to assist them in making disciplinary decisions, particularly if a hearing is scheduled. An advisor may be anyone of the student's choosing: a friend, a parent, a trusted faculty member, or an attorney. The role of the advisor is to consult privately with the student during any disciplinary proceedings. Advisors are not permitted to directly participate by asking questions or making statements during a hearing. Students might consider consulting an attorney in those cases where significant criminal proceedings are pending for the same incident being reviewed through the disciplinary process.

How does a student request an electronic copy of a Hearing Board? Electronic copies of hearings are available to students participating in the hearing.  Students must request the file via email.  The student requesting the electronic file must provide to Student Conduct a USB flash drive.  The USB flash drive can be dropped off in 008 Old Main.  Please be sure to include your name and address on the USB flash drive.  You will be emailed when you may pick up the USB flash drive from 008 Old Main.  Please allow at least two weeks to turnaround a request for an electronic file. For additional information, please contact Student Conduct at 724-738-2057.

For additional information concerning the Student Code of Conduct or to submit a question, please contact

Office of Student Conduct
008 Old Main   Slippery Rock University
Slippery Rock, PA 16057
phone: (724) 738-4985
fax: (724) 738-4920

Victim Resources

Referral Report

Sexual Assault Resources (Title IX)

Leigh Ann Datt

Administrative Assistant:
Carrie Kerr

Graduate Assistant:
Tasha Roberts

008 Old Main
Slippery Rock, PA 16057


E-mail messages sent from the office of student conduct to students through university assigned e-mail addresses will constitute an official means of communication.

All correspondence regarding incidents will be communicated through the student's SRU e-mail address.

Correspondence involving incidents may also come from the office of residence life. It is the student's responsibility and obligation to access and respond to official university e-mail correspondence.