Skip to main content




With what types of problems does the counselor help students?  Do I have to have a serious problem to see a counselor? 
The majority of students who seek counseling services are dealing with normal developmental concerns that accompany the college experience. These include but are not limited to:
  • Adjusting to life at SRU
  • Stress or anxiety
  • Alcohol or drug use, misuse or abuse
  • Test anxiety
  • Eating disorder
  • Depression
  • Grief
  • Abuse issues (physical, sexual, emotional)
  • Academic or learning difficulties
  • Low self-esteem
  • Communication skills
  • Gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender concerns
  • Relationship concerns (romantic, roommate, family and friends)

Do you charge a fee for counseling services?
No, counseling services are free to registered Slippery Rock University students.     
How do I make an appointment? 

Call 724.738.2034 or come to our office in 118 Rhoads Hall to make an appointment.  Our secretary will work with you to find an appointment time that is convenient with your schedule.   
How do I cancel or reschedule my appointment? 

To cancel or reschedule, please call 724.738.2034 or visit our office and speak with the secretary at least 24 hours in advance.   
What can I expect when I come to the counseling center for the first time? 

When preparing for your first appointment, plan to arrive a few minutes early. Once at the Counseling Center, please check in with the secretary.  The secretary will ask you to fill out an initial intake and review information on confidentiality. 

You will then complete an initial interview, where you can share information about what brings you to the Counseling Center and how we may be able to assist you in reaching your goals.   
What do you mean when you say that "services are confidential"? 

We mean that the information you share with your counselor does not leave the Counseling Center.  Your records are kept separate from your academic records and may not be released to any outside party without your written consent.  There are limitations to confidentiality.  Counselors are required by law to release pertinent information if you threaten to harm yourself or others, if there is child or elder abuse occurring or in response to a court order.     
Can students correspond with a counselor via e-mail?

As e-mail is not a secure and confidential mode of communication, counseling sessions are conducted face-to-face and e-mail contact is discouraged.     
What are the qualifications of a Counselor/Psychologist? 

All counselors are doctorally trained and licensed.  As part of our professional development, all counselors seek continuing education credits on a variety of relevant topics.        
Do you have a psychiatrist on staff who may prescribe medication? 

Yes. The Student Counseling Center employs Dr Mark Domidovich MD., a Board Certified Psychiatrist.
He is available by referral from the Student Counseling Center or the Student Health Center. He is available 2 hours a week.

 What if a parent, another student, or a faculty and staff member is concerned about a student?

Without a signed consent form, parents, faculty and other students can call and give pertinent information but the counselors cannot acknowledge that the person is a student at the Counseling Center.  If the student signs a release of confidential information form, only appropriate information will be shared.  Release of Confidential Information forms may be signed for the Student Health Center, Office of Student Conduct, Office for Students with Disabilities, specific faculty, parents, counselors at home and hospital staff.