Your Rights as a Consumer
As a client in the McLachlan Student Health Center you are entitled to certain rights as a consumer of health care:
Clients will be treated with dignity, respect, courtesy and privacy. Health care is given regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, or illness. Interpreter services are available.
Clients will be greeted by name and receive an explanation of Health Center routines, policies, and facilities where appropriate.
- All health care professionals will wear proper identification including name and title.
- Care will be provided by health care professionals who are qualified through education, experience and training. Your personal plan of care may include a referral to community health care providers.
- Clients will receive direct, appropriate health care education and/or counseling and be informed of the plan for their care, including an explanation of procedures, medications, and treatments ordered.
- Client disclosures and records are treated confidentiality and cannot be released to a third party without permission of client.
- Clients are provided, to the degree known, complete information concerning their diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis. When it is medically inadvisable to give such information to a client, the information is provided to a person designated by the client or to a legally authorized person.
- Clients can refuse any treatment that is not understood or not wanted.
- Clients have an opportunity to discuss with the health care provider their needs (physical, emotional or spiritual) and to participate, along with their family, in their individual health care plan and address any questions or problems about their medical care.
- Clients are informed of their right to change a health care provider.
- Advertising regarding competence and capabilities of Health Center staff that is not misleading.
- Information is available to clients and staff concerning:
a. client's rights listed above
b. client conduct and responsibilities
c. services available
d. provisions for after-hours care
e. fees for services
f. availability of interpreter services
g. client's right to refuse to participate in experimental research
h. methods for expressing grievances and suggestions to the organization
- Clients can expect the health care professional to be your advocate.
- Clients can expect the RN/NP to be responsible for informing the Student Health Center physician or other health care provider of changes in their condition.
- Clients will receive basic nursing care including concern for personal hygiene, safety, nutrition, activity, rest and comfort according to their needs.
Your Responsibilities as a Consumer
The following is a list of your responsibilities.
- Provide complete and accurate information to the best of your ability about your health and any medications (including over-the counter products, dietary supplements and any allergies or sensitivities).
- Ask sufficient questions to ensure an understanding of your illness or health problem.
- Follow your provider's recommendations for continuing care including medication and follow up evaluations.
- Provide a responsible adult to transport you home from the facility and remain with you for 24 hours, if required by your health care provider.
- Inform your health care provider about any living will, medical power of attorney, or other directive that could affect your care.
- Accept personal financial responsibility for any charges not covered by your insurance or health service fee.
- Show courtesy and respect to health care personnel and to other clients.
- Never lend your personal identification to others for use to obtain health care.
- If you are unable to keep an appointment, please cancel or reschedule as far in advance as possible.
- Never give medication prescribed for you to others.
- Communicate with your health care provider if your condition worsens or does not follow the expected course.
- Never give false information to your health care provider.
- Only seek services during periods you have paid the Student Health Center fee.
This site is not meant to replace the advice of a health care professional. You should not rely on any information on these pages, or information generated for you by this site, to replace consultations with qualified professionals regarding your own specific situation.