Skip to main content

 Frequently Asked Questions 



What can I bring to make life more comfortable?
We provide a bed, closet, dresser, desk, desk chair, bookshelf, and study lamp for each student, along with a window shade, curtain rod, and telephone for each room. If you bring a stereo, please bring headphones. We encourage roommates to contact each other to discuss what each will bring to campus. 
 What shouldn't I bring?
Large appliances such as refrigerators (over 4 cubic feet), microwaves (over 8 amps), cooking appliances (except those with automatic shutoff - i.e. hot pots/coffee-makers), toaster ovens, ceiling fans, air conditioners, halogen lamps, candles and weight equipment. If you're not sure about what to bring - and what not to bring - call Residence Life at (724) 738-2082.
What is my student's mailing address?

All residence hall students receive a mailbox. Mail that will not fit in the standard campus mailbox will be considered a package and an email will be generated to the student’s campus email address with detailed information as to where and when the student may pick up his or her package. The university receives U.S. Mail, Fed Ex, UPS and other courier services.  The student mailing address is:

 Student’s Name
Students Room Number and Residence Hall Name
Slippery Rock, PA 16057-1326


Suzy Snowflake
591 Residence Hall A
591 Residence Hall B
591 Residence Hall D
591 Residence Hall E
591 Residence Hall F
591 Watson Hall
591 North Hall
591 Rhoads Hall
Slippery Rock, PA 16057-1326


The United States Postal Service has requested that all mail sent to students living in the Residence Halls A, B, D, E and F use the exact format shown above.  The word “Residence” must be spelled out, no abbreviations, and the room number residence hall address line is directly above the city, state and zip code line.  It is not necessary to include “Slippery Rock University” in the address.  Using this exact format will help assure that your student receives their mail without delay. 



Packages that are being sent through a carrier other than the United States Postal Service may require an official street address.  In those cases “1 Morrow Way” may be used on the line after the student’s name.  1 Morrow Way should only be used in cases where a street address is required.  The Room Number Residence Hall name line still needs to appear and be directly above the City, State, Zip code line as indicated above. 


What defines a guest/visitor?
A guest is anyone who is not assigned to live in your room, hall or residence hall. Guests have restricted access to SRU residence halls.  All individuals not assigned to your residence hall must be registered as guests.
 What's visitation?
  • Guests (student/non-student) may visit your room during the following hours:
          10:00 am - midnight Monday - Thursday
          10:00 am Friday - midnight Sunday
  • Guests may only visit students room if both roommates agree that the guest may visit.
  • All guests must be registered by a resident host of the building.  The host student assumes responsibility of the guest during their entire visit.
  • All guests must enter/exit the hall through the main doors and must sign in/out with their host each time.
  • Guests of the same gender as the assigned residents of the room my sleep over Friday and Saturday nights only and only with the advanced permission of all residents of the room.
  • Guests must be at least 18 years of age.  Special permissions may be granted by the GIR only with signed parental permission in advance.
  • When can others access my residence hall room?
    Residence Life staff do not provide access to a student room other than the resident assigned to that room. The following individuals may access a student's room under the following circumstances:
    • Residence life staff under the direction of a full time staff member to conduct announced health and safety checks in the event of a fire, tornado, building emergency, or a student emergency.
    • Residence Life Staff under the direction of a full time staff member to address a reported noise concern such as an alarm, stereo, TV when reported by other students in the area.
    • Maintenance personnel to correct a reported maintenance request or to resolve facility concerns.
    • Police and emergency personnel in response to student emergencies.
      Are my belongings insured by the university?
    Slippery Rock University does not insure your personal belongings and does not assume liability for theft or damages. A parent's homeowner's insurance policy may provide insurance coverage.
     Can I remove/change the furniture in my room?
    Each student is provided a bed, desk, desk chair, dresser, and closet. All items must remain in the room. We are not able to store furniture or personal items for students. Damaged or broken furniture will be replaced with similar furniture. Students are not permitted to remove furniture or decorative items from lounges, hallways, or common areas. Students may not switch room furniture with other students.
     What if my roommate and I are not getting along?
    Roommate conflicts are not uncommon but there are some things that you can do to help reduce the number of conflicts and their frequency. First, complete a roommate agreement during your first few days of living together. Second, see your CA for help if the problem persists.
    Can I make a room/hall change?
    You can request a room/building change during the appropriate "Open Room Change Period". These days will be posted in the residence halls in advance this process occurs in mid September and mid January. Occasionally, room/building changes are permitted later in the semester, but a $50.00 administrative charge is assessed.
     What's the security like on campus?
    University Police work round-the- clock on campus and can be reached 24-hours-a-day at (724) 738- 3333.

    Residence hall staff members are trained to address emergency situations. There are fire alarm systems, smoke detectors and electronic card access system in each hall. This system requires every student that wishes to enter the building to use his/her ID card. These electromagnetic locks are activated 24 hours a day. Desk Attendants and Community Assistants provide around the clock coverage which includes 24 hour guest sign-in.
     Can I stay in my room during vacations and breaks?
    Generally, no; but we understand that there are exceptions. Students interested in break accommodations should contact the Residence Life before the vacation or break is to begin. There is a daily charge to help defray the costs of staffing, security and utilities.
    What are my residence hall choices?
    We have: Single rooms (limited quantity), Double rooms, Triple rooms in the Traditional Halls, Suites style rooms in the Residential Suites and Apartments (upper-class students).  Click here to read about the different halls. Not all room types are available to first year students.
    What's a common area?
    A common area is any area in a residence hall which is not being used for living quarters, offices, etc. These include: hallways, bathrooms, lobbies, lounges, stairwells, laundry rooms, TV lounges, etc. 
    Can I have a car on campus?
    Yes. There are various parking lots on campus for residents. These parking lots are labeled "Resident Parking," and all student vehicles parked on campus must show a "Resident Sticker." Stickers are available at the University Police Station at a minimal cost.
    When can I check-in?
    You will receive information regarding move-in dates and times in July with your billing and registration information.  
    What if I lose my room key?
    Get a temporary key by contacting the Residence Hall staff. After three (3) days, if the original key is not found, the door lock will be automatically changed; the resident will be billed a standard fee for the lock change.
    When will I get my room assignment?
    New freshmen/transfers will receive their housing assignments during orientation in June at Slippery Rock University. If you have not received any assignment, please call the Office of Residence Life. 
    Can I get a refrigerator/microwave in my room?

    Microwaves may be used in student rooms as long as4.2 they do not exceed 750 watts. Refrigerators may not exceed 4.6 cubic feet. Refrigerators and microwaves are provided in buildings A, B, D, E, F and Watson Hall. All apartments are furnished with a refrigerator and microwave.

    How about a fish tank?
    Yes. The volume limit is one 10- gallon tank per room. The tank may contain fish only.
    Can I get a phone?  Are there any restrictions?
    Unless you live in the R.O.C.K. Apartments, DO NOT BRING PHONES! A telephone is provided in each room. Each student has unlimited basic/local calling. To make long distance calls you will need to purchase your own long distance calling card. All residence hall phones are equipped with voice mailboxes (built-in answering machines). Other phones are not permitted due to special circuitry utilized.
    What's the rule on firearms and weapons?
    Objects with potential to cause bodily harm to residents are not allowed in the residence halls - or anywhere on campus. Such objects include fireworks, explosives, handguns, BB guns, shotguns, stun guns, knives, bows and arrows, various martial arts weapons, etc.
    What happens if I lose my I.D. card?
     The ID serves as a student's identification, meal card, ROCK Dollars card, and access key to the residence halls (through the residence hall security access system). The ID card needs to be presented to check out library materials and to receive discounts on athletic and student activities. Students who lose their ID card must go to the University I.D. Card Office in Weisenfluh Dining Hall to replace the card. A replacement fee will be assessed for lost I.D. cards. Call (724) 738-2100 for more information.
     What's a loft?
    A loft is a wooden structure that elevates a mattress, seen here. These structures must meet or exceed minimum standards for safety and will be inspected for such. For more information about our lofts, browse this site.
     Do I clean the room?
    Yes. While housekeepers attend to the common areas and bathrooms, students are expected to clean their own rooms. Vacuums, brooms, and mops are available in each hall office. Health and safety inspections are conducted monthly to support healthy and safe living environments.
     How can I keep ants, bugs, and other critters out of my room?

    Slippery Rock University is located in a rural setting and campus residence halls are adjacent to wooded areas. As a result,we recommend the following to keep your room critter free:
    Report any signs of/or actual sightings immediately to the hall staff. An exterminator is available on a regular basis for concerns in common areas and student rooms. We recommend the following:
    • Keep all open food in sealed containers or plastic bags
    • Keep your room clean, remove trash and wash dishes daily
    • Wipe our your refrigerator and microwave once a week
    • Sweep and vacuum floors once a week
    • Clean your suite's bathroom(s) once to twice a week depending on usage and your preference
    • Do not remove screens from windows
    • Clean up any spills immediately
     Do I have to have a contract for a meal plan?
    Yes. All residence hall students are required to purchase a full meal plan. This constitutes 10 meal, 14 meal or a 19 meal plan. Flex fund is available with all three.Rock Apartments do not need a meal plan.
     Can I cook in my room?
    Yes. Cooking in residence hall rooms is permitted with appliances that have automatic shut-off. Hot pots, coffee makers, and microwave ovens that draw 8 amps of power or less are allowed. No open-coil or open-flame appliances are permitted.
     Where are the good places to study?
    Quiet hours are in effect for all residence halls, 7 days a week. These hours extend from 8:00 PM until 8:00 AM, Sunday through Thursday. And on Friday and Saturday, 10:00 PM until 10:00 AM. Courtesy hours are in effect at all other times. Other excellent study places are as follow: residence hall study lounges, the library, the University Union, and some classrooms in certain academic buildings.
     When do I pay my House Council Activity fee and how is this used? 
    House council fees are due when you check-in at the beginning of the year. This fee is $20. Checks or cash are accepted.  This fee helps cover the cost of hall activities (dances, picnics, etc.) and damages in common areas, and equipment for student use (DVD, vacuums, pool tables, etc.).
     What size mattresses are in the rooms?
    All mattresses on campus are twin extra-long. Mattress measurements are 36" wide, 80" long.

    If you plan on buying sheets for your bed, it is recommended that you purchase extra-long flat sheets for the mattress. A company will be on campus the first week of school that sells sheets and mattress pads made especially for the residence halls.
     Who is responsible for the Residence Halls?
      The Office of Residence Life employs a number of professionals, some who live and work right in the residence halls and others who are responsible for maintenance, custodial and administrative needs of both offices.

    The administrators within the offices are responsible for the operation of the entire residence hall system.  In addition, the offices employ several support staff members and a large number of student assistants who work to make the residence halls a comfortable place to live and learn.

    Each of the eight (8) residence halls is staffed by a Residence Life Assistant Director and the R.O.C.K. Apartments is staffed by a professional Residence Apartment Coordinator. Residence Life Assistant Directors are professional staff with at least an earned bachelor's degree, and in most cases a master's degree in student personnel or a related field. These staff members are directly responsible for the day-to-day operation of their residence hall. They supervise para professional Graduate Assistants and student staff (Community Assistants), coordinate educational programs, support policies and rules, and are available if students want to talk about residence hall, university or personal concerns.