Hospitality and Tourism Management (Master of Science)Offered by: Hospitality and Tourism Management
Do you thrive in the hospitality and tourism field? Slippery Rock University's Master of Science in Hospitality and Tourism Management (MSHTM) will provide the training necessary to be successful in multiple facets of the hospitality industry. The program is a 30-credit professional degree to be delivered 100 percent online. The program is designed to be completed in 24 months.
This program offers the critical thinking, analytical, and decision-making skills that are needed for success in today's rapidly evolving, challenging, and vitally important hospitality and tourism industry. The Washington Post stated in 2012 that "business majors - especially in finance, hospitality management and international fields - are in demand again after taking a hit early in the recession, and stand to increase already high salaries by an average 40 percent with a master's."
Additionally, according to 2013 data from the US Department of Labor, the unemployment rate for individuals holding a master's degree was 3.4 percent in 2013, compared to 6.1 percent for all workers. A 2014 Forbes Magazine article states, "given the knowledge orientation and complex, global nature of today's economy, employers are very often demanding the master's degree for many of their fastest growing professional and leadership roles". The MSHTM degree program will serve to help meet that demand in the growingly complex and intrinsically global hospitality and tourism industry, while at the same time enabling personal growth.
Slippery Rock University's Master of Science in Hospitality and Tourism Management offers:
- 100% online coursework and can be completed in 24 months
- A focus on the "business side" of hotels, resorts, events, food and beverage and other HT enterprises
- A curriculum designed in consultation with HT industry leaders, balancing both theory and practical application, thus providing competitive advantage in a growing industry
- A competitive advantage in a growing industry with a rich diversity of career opportunities
- A Capstone "Master's Project" - students have a choice of designing a business plan, feasibility study, internship, consulting project, research project or other approved professional HT related project
- Fall or Spring term start
- Online Application
- $25 Graduate Application Fee
- Official Transcripts (undergraduate transcripts from an accredited undergraduate institution with a GPA of a 3.00 or higher. Students with a GPA below 3.0 may apply for conditional admission)
- SRU current/Alumni/former students click here to order your official SRU final transcript and have it sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Statement of Purpose* (describe interest in the program, background, and personal/professional career goals) (submit to email@example.com)
- GRE not required
Students with a GPA less than a 3.00, with relevant coursework and prerequisite coursework, may apply for conditional admission.
*If you are requesting review of your graduate transcripts for transfer of credit, please complete the transfer of credit form and submit to the Office of Graduate Admissions with official graduate transcripts. Please review SRU's transfer of credit policy.
*Submit any other supplemental documents in pdf or jpeg format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply for the Hospitality and Tourism Graduate Assistantship position.
Only graduate students enrolled in the Hospitality and Tourism program are eligible to apply for this position.