Internet Explorer Alert: It would appear that you are running Internet Explorer, which is an unsecure, outdated browser. Please download a modern browser to ensure a pleasant, secure and functional browsing experience.


Faculty Resources

While some faculty members may have experienced distance learning instruction before, some have not. Below, you will find more information about support available at SRU for transitioning your course to an online format. Together, we will remain “Rock Solid” in our approach to educating and advancing our students and our University. Thank you for all that you are doing, every day, to make that possible.

Tools, Platforms, Support

Online Teaching Tips

Download an accessible version of the above infographic for screen reader purposes.

Faculty FAQS
How has the University been receiving its COVID-19 information?

Administration has been closely monitoring the continued spread of COVID-19 (aka the novel coronavirus) around the world. University health and student affairs officials have been in constant contact with Butler County health and emergency management officials as well as monitoring information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the World Health Organization and other state and federal agencies.

What should I do if I have to self-quarantine or self-isolate?

Faculty and staff are asked to notify their supervisor of their absence if they are unable to work.

Employees should also notify Human Resources at if the absence is related to employees and/or family members of employees who have acute respiratory illness symptoms.

Will employees in my department be notified if a colleague is self-quarantined or self-isolated due to COVID-19?

Due to privacy issues, this information will not be shared other than in situations where it is believed other employees may also need to self-quarantine.

A member of my household travels regularly and I am concerned about exposure

Monitor your health and that of your household members for symptoms and make sensible decisions with regard to self-quarantine. Depending on the situation, leave may be requested or you may be permitted to temporarily work remotely, provided your job responsibilities or work assignments can be performed remotely for business continuity purposes.

On-Campus Operations
Am I able to access my office during the pandemic?

Employees needing access to their offices for work-related purposes during the pandemic need to request prior authorization by completing a Building Access Request/Notification form at least three business days prior to being on campus.

Who should report to work on-campus?

Only employees who must report for key basic services will report. Until further notice all employees must have explicit permission to report to campus for work. If you are expected to report and you show any signs of illness or have been exposed to COVID-19, then inform your manager and stay home.

Can I have face-to-face meetings, including with job applicants and vendors?

You should avoid all face-to-face meetings.

How does the reduction of University operations effect mail service and central receiving?

While there will be no on-campus delivery, Mail Services will be open for mail and package pick-up from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Monday through Friday, in the University Union. Campus departments and students can pick-up mail and packages during those times.

Central Receiving will be open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Central Receiving will contact departments upon receipt of packages to arrange pick up times or delivery to an office on either Tuesdays or Thursdays. The Finance Department is releasing new guidelines that will allow faculty and staff to have Amazon packages shipped to their homes for the foreseeable future in order to reduce the number of packages processed through Central Receiving. For more information, call 724.738.4342.

Will my students have library access?

Bailey Library will physically be closed to students; however, librarians will be available to students by chat and email.

Student Employment and Student Hiring
Can student workers work remotely if there is an assignment for them?

Yes. If an office or department has a remote work assignment for a student worker(s), the student may continue to work as long as they are registered for at least six credits in any combinations of Summer Sessions or the fall 2020 semester.

Student Payroll has been approving my student employees' hours in eTime, will this continue?

No. Beginning with the May 9 pay period, timekeepers will be responsible for approving all student hours worked in their department, per normal procedure.

Is there a process for hiring a new student worker to work remotely?

Yes. The New Student Employee Payroll Packet has been updated to include the new remote hiring process.

Should I be posting open student worker positions in Handshake right now?

Yes. Handshake is the best way to find students interested in working for your department.

How does COVID-19 affect University travel?

The University has made the decision to suspend all business travel for all employees until further notice. The travel suspension involves both international and domestic travel. All travelers should request refunds from airlines, hotels and/or conferences that have already been paid. We understand that travel requests and reimbursements are in several different statuses. The Travel Office will be working with individual travelers to provide appropriate guidance. Please be aware that a set of specific travel FAQs for these circumstances is available here. Please be mindful that decisions regarding future business travel beyond the spring semester will be influenced by the then-current pandemic circumstances. Accordingly, please do not book any future travel without approval of your respective Cabinet leader.

What if an employee has a personal trip planned?

Employees are encouraged to reconsider any personal travel. While these are individual decisions, everyone should be aware of the possibility that exposure at any point during travel could result in having to self-quarantine and that travel warning designations could change at any time.

Classes, Grading, Academic Records
Are there new instructions for Academic Records and Registration forms?

All Academic Records and Registration forms and instructions are available on this page.

Can I have clarification on which students follow each general studies program?

The following students will follow Rock Studies:

  • All first-year University students, freshmen, who matriculate to University in the 2019 summer and fall terms and after will enter under Rock Studies. This includes students who may be entering the University for the first time with a few college-level credits.
  • All students who are undergraduate readmissions will enter under Rock Studies beginning fall 2019. According to readmission procedure, "Readmitted students are responsible for meeting all academic requirements in effect at the time they are readmitted, not at the time they were originally admitted to the University."

The following students will remain in Liberal Studies:

  • Students who entered the University before fall 2018 will use the Liberal Studies Guide.
  • Students who entered in the fall 2018 or spring 2019 will use the most recent Liberal Studies Guide.
  • All transfer students will enter under the most recent version of the Liberal Studies Program. They will use the curriculum guides that describe their majors with the latest version of Liberal Studies. We anticipate that transfer students will begin to enter under Rock Studies during the summer and fall 2021.

Campus Events
How are athletic events being affected?

There will be no athletic or student activities on campus, or sponsored off-campus by the University, until further notice.

What is the status of campus events?

All in-person campus events, on-campus or off-campus, are canceled until further notice.

Events staged virtually are permitted.

What is considered a campus event?

Campus events include, but are not limited to, on-campus or off-campus meetings, performances, celebrations, carnivals, rallies, demonstrations, social gatherings, lectures, forums, speaker presentations and conferences.

If an employee does not have sufficient paid leave time and needs to be off for an extended period for sickness, what should they do?

If you are sick, you should stay at home. If you do not have sufficient paid leave time to use, the University is allowing a more liberal use of leave during this period. That means you may request use of other paid time or use anticipated time (leave to be earned during the calendar year) or request leave without pay. In some situations, request for leave donations may be available. Email Human Resources at for more information.

If a child's daycare or school is closed, may an employee work from home?

Yes, if your job responsibilities are compatible with the remote working plan put into place March 17. However, you may not be able to effectively work while at home due to caregiving responsibilities. In this case, you may request annual or leave without pay.

What happens if an employee is not permitted to work from home or telecommute and not able to come to work based on a self-quarantine, self-isolation, or care for a family member?

If you do not have sufficient paid leave time to use, the University is allowing a more liberal use of leave during this period. That means you may request use of other paid time or use anticipated time (leave to be earned during the calendar year) or request leave without pay.

What is the Families First Coronavirus Response act?

What is the Families First Coronavirus Response act? For employees who are currently working or working remotely, the FFCRA provides up to 10 days of paid sick leave and up to 10 work weeks of paid and two work weeks of unpaid expanded family and medical leave for eligible employees based on the type of qualifying event. This additional leave may be at a reduced rate of pay. These provisions will apply from April 1 through Dec. 31.

More information about the FFCRA is available here.

Employee FAQs with respect to the FFCRA are available here

If you have questions, or wish to request paid leave under the FFCRA, please submit your request to

Will annual and personal leave carryover balances have a change in expiration date due to COVID-19?

The State System will be removing the requirement to use excess carryover leave during the COVID-19 pandemic. Employees will not lose excess leave or have it converted to sick leave. While you may still see an end date on these leave quotas, they will continue to be extended. Once the COVID-19 pandemic is over, the State System will reinstate the policy with at least a 60-day notice.

Question about COVID-19 or have a contribution?

Fill out the following form if you seek additional information about how SRU is responding to COVID-19 or if you have a content contribution for the FAQs.